PDA

View Full Version : lubing a press

jballs918
10-03-2006, 10:05 AM
well folks i got a jr3 press from one of the members on the board. well i went thru and cleaned every bit of it up and sandblasted it and it turned out really nice. now my question is wheat lube should i use on it so that it doesnt become a mess agian thanks

Dew
10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
If you are talking about the Reloader 3 Special by RCBS I have one. It kicks the primer out the right side into a plastic catcher. I clean the press about once a year and simply use some gun oil by Lucas. Truth of the matter is 3 in1 oil does as good as the rest of the stuff on the shelves. I prefer oil rather than grease because it can be wiped up and seems to clean up better for me. I'm sure that there will be other info that is just as good or better than mine. That is why I came to this board... all the good info.

Regards,
Wilson Dew

Pop Gun
10-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I use teflon and milibdum disulfide (?sp). Nothing to attrack and hold dirt or moisture.

drinks
10-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I take both presses apart once a year, wipe everything clean, including the bore the ram travels in.
I place small amounts of the nickel bearing neverseize on the pins and pivot points and lightly coat the ram with it.
My 40 year old RCBS is still tight and a $15 Lee "c" press, 10 years old, is still like new.

versifier
10-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I use either Triflow or regular gun oil if the kids have stolen the Triflow can. :)

arkypete
10-03-2006, 08:41 PM
I use STP as case sizing lube, I wipe any excess off my fingers onto the ram or any other part of the press that needs lubing.
Jim

C A Plater
10-03-2006, 11:28 PM
I've been using Lube Gel from Radio Shack that I heard about on the mini-lathe list. Goes for about $2-3 a tube, last a long time as you need very little and is food safe.

carpetman
10-03-2006, 11:46 PM
I dont reload at such a warp speed to be terribly concerned about what lube to use on the press. Now BruceB might have to use something special.

Buckshot
10-04-2006, 02:55 AM
...............Carpetman, I don't either since I had a 38 Special divit taken out of my thumb once. However I DO like to apply a bit of lube ever now and again. I'm just that way :-)

.................Buckshot

bmblong
10-04-2006, 05:48 AM
I use wheel bearing grease. Stays where you put it. Doesn't run. Just wipe off the excess after a couple runs and you are good to go.

Four Fingers of Death
10-04-2006, 07:05 AM
I use black yukky graphite grease on the ram and gun oil on any hinge points of my Rockchucker. It is as messy as all get out, but the press has seen incredible use since 1981 including loading several thousand rounds each week for a pistol club when I was too poor to upgrade to a progressive and it still looks like new whenever I clean it off. Mick.

Bret4207
10-04-2006, 07:14 AM
CA Plater- "Food safe"?!?!?! Man, the last thing I'd do is eat in my reloading room. No telling what might go down the old tube! What if I got a triple charge of Bullseye in my peanut buter, sardine, and aspargus samwich? Houses could be leveled in 300 yard radius! Food safe indeed sir!

C A Plater
10-04-2006, 08:14 AM
CA Plater- "Food safe"?!?!?! Man, the last thing I'd do is eat in my reloading room. No telling what might go down the old tube! What if I got a triple charge of Bullseye in my peanut buter, sardine, and aspargus samwich? Houses could be leveled in 300 yard radius! Food safe indeed sir!

I use in on the meat grinder, mixer and other food processing machines. I have heard that black powder makes a good subtitue for pepper though. ;)

Baldy
10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
I take and tear the whole press apart, and clean it with kerosene. I put never seize on all bearing surfaces, and ram. Get it together, and run it up, and down a few times, wipe off excess, and go for it. Works for me.

beagle
10-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Clean and bube the outer surfaces lightly. The pivot pins which are not exposed get lubriplate or a similar heavy grease as they catch all of the pressure/wear.

I have an old Rockchucker that I've had for years and it's loose as a goose but still loads good ammo.

Pay special attention to the ram head where the shell holder fits as it tens to really accumulate crud and causes difficult seathing of teh shellholder./beagle

jballs918
10-04-2006, 01:52 PM
hey guys thanks for all the help. im still looking for more. i have a good direction to go in now. looks like heavy grease on the ram and light on most of everything. i fould out the press was about 30 years old. well i think after the face left it should go for about another 20 years or so. rcbs makes a great product and half the fun was fixing it up. so hopefully i will do justice to this great press i got

762cavalier
10-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I just use CLP as I have enough to last for a while. I don't warp speed reload(actually I'm fairly OCD and weigh each and every charge) and the clp seems to be doing the trick although I've only been reloading for about three years:-D

redneckdan
10-07-2006, 01:09 PM
...............Carpetman, I don't either since I had a 38 Special divit taken out of my thumb once. However I DO like to apply a bit of lube ever now and again. I'm just that way :-)

.................Buckshot

did that once with a .30-06 probably more due to sizing brass while tired than anything. slowed down a bit, maybe a net loss of 1-2rds per hour. I find that I concentrate better and produce a bette prodeuct when I'm working "efficently". I use grey lithum grease to lube my press.