PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

rtracy2001
11-07-2010, 08:36 PM
OK, I know yet another ID this powder for me, but oh well.

I decided to pull down some surplus 8mm ammo and I was suprised by its contents. Instead of the square black flakes that came out of other 8mm surpluss stuff, this was a rod powder very similar in apearance to IMR powders that I am familiar with (3031 or 4350). Each round contained between 46.5 and 47 grains of powder and were behind a 155 gr steel core/copper jacketed projectile. The cases are green laquered steel with a headstamp of "22" over the primer and "76" beneath the primer (both numbers are oriented the same way, not radially aroud the primer). There were no other markings of any kind on the boxes. Of note is the fact that the cases seemed to have dimensional issues as half of them had to be forced into my shellholder.

I will probably just reload this into brass cases at about the same charge, but if there is a firm idea what it is, it may find uses elsewhere.

richbug
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
The ammo you are referencing is Romanian. If I had to make an educated guess, it is about 4895ish in speed. Make your own decisions on how to use this info.

it is excellent ammo, why are you pulling it down?

rtracy2001
11-08-2010, 10:11 PM
it is excellent ammo, why are you pulling it down?

I am uncomfortable with the prospect of corrosive ammo of any type, and all roads point to most of this stuff having corrosive primers. Just don't want to put my milsurps through any more abuse than absolutely necessary.

Shiloh
11-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Are you going to load boxer primed brass with the same powder and bullets??

A thorough cleaning solves any issues with corrosive. Clean the bolt as well.

SHiloh

rtracy2001
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Are you going to load boxer primed brass with the same powder and bullets??

A thorough cleaning solves any issues with corrosive. Clean the bolt as well.

SHiloh

That is indeed the plan, though I was also considering using the powder in other aplications as well. I can always load up the projectiles with other powder if need be.

spqrzilla
11-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Seems like a lot of trouble to go about to salvage the least expensive reloading component.

rtracy2001
11-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Seems like a lot of trouble to go about to salvage the least expensive reloading component.

Waist not, want not.