PDA

View Full Version : Mihec 434640 vs. Mihec H&G #503

longbow
11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I finally got to the range to try out boolits from new moulds!

I have been wanting to compare the Mihec 434640 against the Mihec H&G #503 in my 1894 Marlin .44 mag. Today I managed to get some shooting in with two different styles of boolits in 4 different configurations.

The 434640 were all penta hollow points cast in a 2 cavity brass Cramer mould.

The H&G #503 were:

- penta hollow point cast in a 2 cavity brass Cramer mould.
- large conical hollow point cast in a 2 cavity brass Cramer mould.
- solids cast in a 6 cavity aluminum mould.

- gun: Marlin 1894
- open sights
- loads:
- all HP boolits over 23 grs. IMR4227
- solids over 22 grs. IMR4227 (these were loaded some time ago and I forgot to check)

Mihec brass Cramer 434640:

- 6 groups of 5 shots each at 50 yards

two groups poorly shot by yours truly (not enough trigger time lately)

4 good groups:

1) 4 shots in 1" and one flyer for 2 3/4" O/A
2) 4 shots in 1 1/4" and one flyer for 3" O/A
3) randomly scattered 3" group (most likely me)
4) 4 shots in 1 3/4" and one flyer for 2 3/4" O/A

Mihec H&G #503:

- 6 groups of 5 shots each at 50 yards:
- 2 groups using the large penta hollow point (brass Cramer mould)
- 2 groups using the large conical hollow point (brass Cramer mould)
- 2 groups solid (original 6 cavity aluminum mould)

Again, two groups poorly shot by yours truly! (consistency is everything!)

4 good groups:

1) 4 in 1 1/4" and one flyer for 2 1/2" O/A (penta point)
2) 2" group mostly vertical string (large conical HP)
3) 1" (NICE GROUP!) (large conical HP)
4) 4 in 1" with one flyer for 2 1/2" O/A

I use the term "flyer" but I blame myself for being out of practice. I am sure I jerked the trigger or just wasn't steady.

For many of you, these groups are probably kinda large but this is about the best performance I have had from any boolits in this gun... even when I was getting more practice.

I wondered if the gun might have a preference but it appears to me that considering my lack of practice and old eyes with open sights these boolits of both designs shoot better than I can aim. A scope would help remove some of that pilot error too.

Considering that these Mihec moulds are as near perfection as one could ask it is no wonder the boolits shoot well and I am sure I am not doing them justice.

Now I guess I have to cast a bunch more and repeat the test until I can decide which is better and that could take a lot of shooting. It is a dirty job but somebody has to do it!

I do like these moulds!

Longbow

2 dogs
11-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I shot both of these bullets with the round hollow points out of my 14 inch super 14 contender with optics at 50 yards. Both bullets shot right at 1.5 inches for me.

longbow
11-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Both seemed to shoot well enough for me today with no clear winner. Not a lot of groups shot but indications are they shoot better than I can hold.

I have tuned up the Marlin to handle the SWC's which it did not like to feed before but does okay now. The 434640 should feed well but I loaded single shot today because there appears to be a timing issue with occasional jamming and I did not want jamming today.

What load were you running?

Any leading at all? I had none today, not even a speck. Mine are both PB moulds by the way.

Lloyd Smale
11-08-2010, 06:23 AM
ive got both two and shot both with round pins out of my 44 special and a super blackhawk with quite a few powder and primer combos and the 640 design hands down outshot the 503.

longbow
11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Lloyd:

From the limited shooting I did it is hard to come to any real conclusion except that I need more practice!

Both styles of boolits shot well from my gun and even with different hollow points but it would take some more shooting and probably longer range to get more definite answers.

I was just happy to get out to the range and do some shooting. That both boolits performed well is a bonus.

I should get a scope to help out my aging eyes and reduce pilot error too.

I think next time I will pick the same HP or solid in each style and shoot a bunch more of each to see if I can find which if either is better. That the 434640 should feed better than the H&G #503 in the Marlin may be the deciding point in the end but I plan to keep both moulds regardless.

I am wishing I had gotten in on the Mihec 200 gr. group buy too. I figured it wasn't enough different than what I have to bother with but it is a nice boolit and a guy just can't have too many Mihec brass Cramer moulds!

Maybe I will see if he has extras.

johnvid
11-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Longbow,
Thanks for the wright up. I also have the Mihec 434640 to shoot in my 1984 Marlin. I did get to cast and load up 50 rounds but haven't had a chance to shoot them.

I did sign up for the Mihec brass #503 that is going on in the current group buy. This 4 cavity brass mould should be quite a winner.

It was nice to see that the swc functions in your rifle. I was wondering how the swc would do.

John

longbow
11-09-2010, 09:25 PM
John:

My Marlin used to choke badly on the Lyman 429421 even when seated to the front driving band.

It also fed the H&G #503 poorly but since I had the beautiful mould I had to try to make it work. It seems some Marlins feed SWC's well and some don't so there must be some subtle timing differences or differences in fits of carrier and such.

In any case, I had read about modifying the cartridge stop to allow the longer OAL of the SWC and it is a pretty simple operation so I did that. It helped but... still problems.

After that it fed the longer OAL but the Keith shoulder would frequently hang up on the top of the chamber mouth so I decided the carrier was lifting too high and filed a deeper groove and reshaped a bit. That also helped but... still some problems. Not many but some.

It feeds any round nose or RNFP, TC and about any non SWC very well. The SWC's do pretty well now but it took some work.

As for accuracy, well the jury is still out regarding any differences between the two designs. I guess the H&G #503 showed a slight edge.

From the limited shooting I did, as mentioned, these are the best groups I have ever gotten from this gun and since I had several tight clusters of 4 shots I am blaming the fliers on me mostly.

I was also impressed with no leading since leading has been a problem in the past but then these are very round boolits of proper fit to my 0.4315" groove diameter and my Lyman 429421 cast at about 0.429" so undersize for my gun.

My Mihec H&G #503's (6 cavity aluminum and 2 cavity brass Cramer) are from the original group buys and the 434640 is the brass Cramer from the recent group buy. All cast larger than 0.432" so are good fit.

While feeding may be an issue, I think you will find accuracy good.

Enjoy! The Mihec moulds are excellent.

Longbow