PDA

View Full Version : A little shooting today

44man
11-07-2010, 05:36 PM
My friend came over with his daughter to sight a 30-30 in. She shoots very well and we got it good at 100 yards. I feel so good that she loves to deer hunt.
I was helping tune another friend's bow when they came and I sent them down to the range. I got the bow fixed and took my BFR .475 down for a few shots.
I centered a beer can at 100 yards and found a 1" by 2" piece of slate. I propped it at 50 yards and you will not believe the cloud of dust such a small piece can make.
Sadly, my friends were afraid to shoot my revolver. I just do not know how to make more lose fear of a revolver. I firmly believe the young lady could handle one. But the father was afraid and the fear was passed on.
I don't believe in the starting with a .22 and working up stuff. I have had too many friends go to the big stuff right off with 100% success. Others turn yellow even when they can shoot very large rifles. I would say 40% will shoot the revolver and 60% will say NO.
Those that shoot one from the .44 up do very well and really enjoy it so how do I dispel fear from the rest?
They watch how easy it is, how accurate, how little barrel rise I get, no pain at all, yet there is a fear based on the size of the gun or something. I never, ever do those crazy things like letting a revolver go crazy with a barrel over my head to brag about a big caliber. That is a turn off and stupid. I tone down everything for a new shooter. But how I would love to get more involved with handguns.
I have had too many shoot the large revolvers and turn with a huge grin to say "that is GREAT" and then shoot all of my loads up.
I seen a spark in the girls eyes so I need to work on it. I feel she could make a .44 sit up and talk and just maybe, the .475.

Mal Paso
11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
You should have seen the gal next to me at the range yesterday. Handled her 5 1/2" 44 Redhawk very well and had her own Leatherman tool. Hot Stuff!

Jack Stanley
11-07-2010, 07:01 PM
It's just the way some people are built I think . I once saw a ninety-five pound girl handle a seven magnum in a rifle that brought tears to some men .

On the flip side I've shot a twenty-nine for years and it doesn't bother me . One of the macho guys at work who has to have the current "biggest" got me to shoot his Casull when it first hit . It took him two hands to get a two foot group at twenty-five yards , I gave him a five inch group with a one hand target stance . It took all the concentration I could produce because it really was hurting my hand . The lad swore up and down that he shot a deer at over a hundred fifty yards with it and it was very comfortable for him . Believe me , I was happy for him .

My big brother had only fired the handguns the army allowed him to back in the days of Saigon . When his son brought him out one day he asked to try the big "N" frame I was using . Two hundred grain lead at a thousand feet per second is not a powerful load compared to some . You know what ............. that man fired up a half a thirty cal. ammo can of my ammo and had a blast with it !! :lol:

Jack

chaos
11-08-2010, 02:15 AM
I feel the same way, and both my sons shoot Full house 44 mags to boot. They do work them out quite a bit moore with medium Unique loads, but neither is scared of their guns.

You should see the look from others when we go to public ranges

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/biggun.jpg

bigboredad
11-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I think noise has a lot to do with it. But I could be wrong. All I know for sure is I love to shoot big revolvers. I love the boom the smoke and the impact of a big heavy lead bullet:Fire:

btroj
11-09-2010, 09:14 PM
My daughter shot full loads from my 44mag SRH at 14. Seems that nobody ever bothered to tell her she couldn't. She had shot specials and liked it so I asked if she wanted to try magnums. She said sure so I gave her 5 to try. No problem.
I think a lot of handling "big" guns is between the ears. This is why I don't like to talk to people about how a gun hurts to shoot, etc. Gives them the idea it is not shootable and makes them shy away from it.
Its amazing what people can dp when they are not aware that they can't do it!
Brad

44man
11-10-2010, 11:36 AM
My daughter shot full loads from my 44mag SRH at 14. Seems that nobody ever bothered to tell her she couldn't. She had shot specials and liked it so I asked if she wanted to try magnums. She said sure so I gave her 5 to try. No problem.
I think a lot of handling "big" guns is between the ears. This is why I don't like to talk to people about how a gun hurts to shoot, etc. Gives them the idea it is not shootable and makes them shy away from it.
Its amazing what people can dp when they are not aware that they can't do it!
Brad
Seems as if it is the big tough guys with the most fear! [smilie=l:
Want to see a FLINCH in spades? Watch my grandson shoot. He is bi-polar and thinks he is real tough because all he does is play games on the computer. Mouse tough! :holysheep