PDA

View Full Version : BAB score

jsizemore
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
The flea market has been shut down the past month for the state fair. So, I'm cruzin' the amateur vendors and have bought 2 small pewter goblets. I turn the corner and there is a Big A$$ Bowl ( which from here forward will be refered to as BAB) made of pewter. I asked the lady how much after I caught my breath. $10. So I had to ask if that was her best price. She laughed cuz she knew she had me. I guessed the weight between 4 and 5 lbs so I won't get hurt too bad at $10. I've just got started on pewter mining for the day, so I haul it and the 2 goblets back to the car and go searching for more. I find a #3 lead ladle, a 1 lb spool of solder, an Audobon bird whistle, in the original package, and a full can of CRC brake cleaner and a full can of CRC motor and contact cleaner. All for $7. Next I find 12 beer mugs but only 7 are pewter. Darn. 7 dollars more. I figure I got $5 left over from the beer mug letdown, so I head back to the ladle, bird whistle guy and buy 2-4' pipe clamps for $5. I can justify this since they are for work. As I'm driving home, folks are honking at me cuz I'm daydreaming about seeing the BAB melting in my dutch oven. I get home and weigh the BAB on the digital shipping scale. 7 LBS 5 OZS. WOW! The rascal is 9" high and 14.5" across. WOW. That's one BAB. Now you know where I got the name. I put the 7 beer mugs and 2 goblets in the BAB. 13 LBS 5 OZS. WOW. The BAB appears to be a promotion from Moet & Chandon for icing bottles of wine and champagne. Maybe came from one of those big wine outlet stores.
When I get to the smelting stage, I'll get some pics to post.
Keep your eyes open for the BAB.