PDA

View Full Version : Varinting with TLC460-350-RFB

Johnch
10-02-2006, 09:42 PM
It rained today and I had to work over time tonight , so I didn't go bow hunting .
But I had several 45/70 loads with TLC460-350-RFB to test , so I headed to the range with the Marlin and the Contender pistol in 45/70 .

I shot some groups ,The Marlin - nothing real bad , but nothing great 2 -4" at 100 yds .
But 11 gr of Unique in the Contender pistol was super , the groups averaged just over 1" at 100 off sand bags with a scope .

Well I was going to leave , but was BSing with the guys when I saw 2 ground hogs had come out to sun them selves at 150 yds and just over 250 yds .
Being the only one with ammo left I got the chance to shoot , more of the 11 gr of Unique .
150 yds was no problem , since I had just shot the gong at 200 yds.
Held a few inchs low .

1 shot , 1 dead ground hog .

The longer ground hog started to it's hole but stoped and sat up .
No clue what sight setting to use I guessed , added about 16 clicks over the 200 setting , aimed at the top of his head and hoped .

Well the guys with scopes were sure I had shot over it , but gravity brought the slug into contact with the middle of the chucks chest .
LOL a 1200 fps bullet sure takes a long time to get 250 - 270 yds

I don't normaly varmit hunt with the 45/70 pistol , but it works

Johnch

ammohead
10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
john,

I went varminting myself last wed evening for jack rabbits. I have a Nov. cow elk tag for NE Nevada and intend on taking my Marlin cowboy 45-70 and Win model 71 in 348 both with cast bullets only. So I figured I would go walkabout with the 45-70 and some 405 gr rcbs bullets. The first shot was a little high and took the top of ole jack's head clean off. He flopped around considerable. Then I missed a few and started holding a bit lower. Solid body hits produce no flopping what so ever just one flop to the ground.

Scored 5 jacks for 9 rounds, all fired standing offhand. Great field practice! I figure body size should be equivalent to elk out to 150 or so, which I consider to be about my limit for offhand. And to tell the truth, I probably wouldn't shoot much farther with a rest. Next time out will be with the 348 and some lyman 250 gr. Should be a bit flatter at 2000 fps instead of the 405s at 1450. I hope to have pictures for the leadhead meatgetters society come Nov.

ammohead

Ranch Dog
10-03-2006, 10:47 PM
You guys have been busy with them boolits... Good deal!!!