PDA

View Full Version : red rooster lube

bubbadawg59
11-07-2010, 09:30 AM
i recently bought 2 bottles of this stuff thinking i finely had the stickey lube thing beat . but i dont hear much about this product. did i waste my money?.ill be using it on lee tumble lube 200 grain 45 acp tumble lube bullits

toddrod
11-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I will work fine in your application. I stopped using it because I find that it starts to flake off the bullets after about 2 weeks. It is very easy to apply.

gray wolf
11-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Talk is if you follow the directions it works, and it should be OK for a 45 acp.
There are other ways to solve your problem--but for now--NO, I don't think you wasted anything.

fryboy
11-07-2010, 10:02 AM
when i first saw ur thread i thought of the zambini and my fav the discontinued HVR , but what you bought is called rooster jacket , for 45 acp's at target velocities as well as other it does indeed work , much like alox i have found that two thin coats work well ( one before sizing and one after ) you can cut it a lil bit with water if you wish , i think i read someone's post that stated 30% was about max , i did 10% , i havent tried it on jacketed tho a few have ( it mite cut copper fouling on a solid copper jacketed ) if you type it in the search feature i bet that you'd get lots of hits ......BTW ? welcome to the forum !

bubbadawg59
11-07-2010, 10:09 AM
thanks fryboy :grin:

bubbadawg59
11-07-2010, 10:13 AM
i am going to try and lube these tumble lube boolits and load them without sizing them .hopefully it works. thats the idea behind the tumble lube thery . i havent had any probs doing this woth my tumble lube boolits for my .357

RayinNH
11-07-2010, 10:44 AM
bubba, I use it on the Lee tumble lube SWC for the .38 Special all the time. It works just fine assuming your boolit fits properly. Essentially the same velocity for .45 ACP and .38 Special.

Another hearty welcome to the site...Ray

I also use them on .45 ACP, but I shoot mine through a revolver

fecmech
11-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I have had very good luck with it in the .45 acp and .38 spl on tumble lube bullets. Using TL bullets in my .357 Rossi rifle (24" bbl) I get excellent results up to 1150 fps, zero leading and excellent accuracy. I have not tried it any faster so I don't know if that's the limit. In my .38 revolver I run it 900 fps with no leading( same load as the rifle).

mdi
11-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Welcome Bubba. Not a hijack, but does anyone know what Rooster Jacket is made of? Might like to try a home made version...

geargnasher
11-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't have any idea, but I'll offer the internet rumour that it's industrial floor wax containing a minimum of 50% solids.

Gear

DevilDog83
09-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I just tried some for my 45 ACP revo loads in S&W 625 and my slow .41 Mags (249 lrn at around 700 FPS) and less smoke than ALOX

jaysouth
09-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Anyone know why it's been discontinued by the manufacturer?

It's on closeout at Midway now with 11 bottles left. Rooster's website has it as discontinued.

fryboy
09-16-2012, 08:19 AM
no idea whay they discontinued it or their other lubes ( i really really miss the HVR - which was the first or second to go ..it was either that or their bp-7 ) my guess is that they didnt make enough money or receive enough orders , of course it could be that their candle and custom labeled products swamped them so they may of trimmed the slower lines to keep up production of other things

hwevers
09-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Is there a good substitute for Red Rooster lube other than Alox? I've had great success with the Rooster in .45 ACP bullseye loads.

Howard

fecmech
09-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Is there a good substitute for Red Rooster lube other than Alox? I've had great success with the Rooster in .45 ACP bullseye loads.

Howard

It looks, smells and acts like a commercial floor wax they had where I worked. Came in 5 gal. cans, milky looking and dried fairly clear, janitors then used a buffer on it. I never think of it when I go back and visit. I could easily scrounge a bit for a trial if I only could remember to do it. Darn Crestor, yeah, that's why I can never remember anything, it's those drugs!

hwevers
09-21-2012, 12:21 PM
According to the company, the elderly gent that made this for them retired and the equipment is gone. They sold a lot of this, but just don't have an alternative source.

Is there anything else that can be used, other than Lee Alox or home brew? Possibly something in a spray can, like case lube or ????

Howard

fryboy
09-21-2012, 07:35 PM
if some elderly gent made it a company should be able to do it ( now the big if lolz ) if they knew what it was , there has been quite a bit of discussion ( well IMHO anyways ) of this and various other coatings , i did floors commercially in my youth , none of the 3 waxes i used was/is quite the same but the principle is .
recluse's recipe to me is alot better than alox alone !! and umm enjoy any rooster jacket you have while it's there ( makes me want to thin mine up to that 25-30 % mark they mention :P ) alot of things can be tried , at one time midway stated that their "drop out" mould release works , in a fashion it does but it's not the bee's knees [shrugz] some guys use johnson paste wax with results good enough that they keep doing it , lyman has sold spray on moly for some time and several offered moly coating kits ( but that's best with a RJ finish [dratz] )