PDA

View Full Version : Battery Terminals?

Combat Diver
11-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I've got a handful of these battery terminals. Question is are the lead? Wondering if they are worth throwing in my kitbag to take home and melt down.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/battery_terminals.JPG

CD

docone31
11-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Yes they are.

badgeredd
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Yes they are lead and they are rather soft alloy generally which makes for a good additive to wheel weights to get a mor ductile boolit.

Question:

Is there a reason you couldn't melt them down and turn them into ingots and then mail the ingot home? Just asking on the chance that you'd not have to transport it back personally. The weight DOES add up from my recollection when shipping out.

Edd

THANK YOU for your service.

fryboy
11-07-2010, 10:33 AM
i'm going to go out on a limb here .... yes they are lead and usually soft lead , sometimes they have a brass insert to either help with the shape or the retaining function , i have seen some from import cars that have a steel insert ( spring clip type retainer ) those above look like the kind one finds on the implement and larger truck batteries

smokemjoe
11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Have added them to the lead pot for 40 years, good lead.

Combat Diver
11-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys, found four of them in the back of one of our pickups here on the FOB. Don't believe customs will give me a problem with them. (never seen lead in this from restricted, only bullets and loaded ammo) I still have my RD 411255 mold I haven't used yet, LOL. Then if they are that soft might use them for my .375 round ball mold.

Shiloh
11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
never seen them made of anything other than lead. Back when wheelweights were easier to score, there was several or more per bucket of weights.

Shiloh