PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Lube Sizers

Hot Lead
10-02-2006, 08:28 PM
I am just beginning into the world of cast bullet production. I have obtained quite a few pounds of spent bullets at the berms of my shooting range for my lead alloy. Got a cast iron pot to melt the lead in and a well used propane camping stove. I have cast a few .50 caliber Lee Real Bullets for my T/C Hawken. They seemed to almost drop down the barrel of my smokepole. The need for a thermometer to regulate whether the lead was too cold or too hot became very apparent.
This is where I need some good advice. I want to buy a lubrisizer. I read that the Lyman sizer was too weak. No factory guarantee. I read that the RCBS was a little better with a factory guarantee. I kept researching to find the better the lubriszer you want, the more you have to pay. This ol country boy needs one of the lower priced lubrisizers, and one that will stand the test of throwing a lot of lead bullets. The more I read on these contraptions, the more I need your advice on what is the best lubrisizer and also what do I really need to start having fun making some hot lead. Do I need a manual for this hot lead hobby?

:-D

robertbank
10-02-2006, 08:53 PM
HI

I picked up a RCBS lubebricator off of Ebay for about half price. Seems like there is always one for sale. If you watch close you can get a pretty good buy on one. MIne works just fine and I understand RCBS guarantee and service is pretty good as well. I think my machine will last me the rest of my life and probably some of my sons.

Take Care

Bob

ps Welocme to the forum. I know you will enjoy your stay here.

rbb

Hot Lead
10-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks, Bob. I am at this moment on e-bay looking for a used RCBS lubrisizer. I like the fact that you can get a used one for a much lower price than the new factory issue. And you say the used ones still have the free fix-em-up warranty?

Marc2
10-02-2006, 10:00 PM
You will be pleased with the RCBS. I have both the RCBS and the Star. The Star is a great machine and gets the most volume but I use the RCBS more often (if that makes sense). I've had no problem with the RCBS and its easier to set up for different bullets of the same caliber (no plugging lube holes). I'm sure you will be able to find a used one. Good luck with your casting. Let us know how it's going.

Marc

Buckshot
10-02-2006, 10:00 PM
...............Welcome Hot Lead. Nice handle :-). You're right about the lube - sizers. I really think the Saeco is the best all around but I went with a Lyman. After also getting an RCBS I think that between those 2 the RCBS is just a bit better. I will say I prefer the Lyman sizer dies over the RCBS though.

...................Buckshot

omgb
10-03-2006, 12:06 AM
...............Welcome Hot Lead. Nice handle :-). You're right about the lube - sizers. I really think the Saeco is the best all around but I went with a Lyman. After also getting an RCBS I think that between those 2 the RCBS is just a bit better. I will say I prefer the Lyman sizer dies over the RCBS though.

...................Buckshot

What he said.:drinks:

johnho
10-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I bought the Star based on recommendations from others on this site. I am sure the Lee and RCBS and Seaco are good sizers but the general opinion from many was the Star was better. I don't know as I never tried the others. However, for about $60 more plus some extra costs for the dies don't rule out the Star yet. The air pressure system makes lubing fast-at least for me.

John

R.M.
10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Hot Lead
There's no need to size the REAL bullets. They should have a bit of a taper to them, where the bottom bands are smaller than the top one, but no, they shouldn't drop down the barrel.
I have a few Lyman and Star sizers. Each has their good and bad, depending on what it is you're doing. You should be able to pick up a used Lyman pretty cheap to start with, then once you know better what it is you need, you can expand from there.

Good Luck
R.M.

Powderface
10-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I used to have a Saeco, but when i got my Star and used it for a while, the Saeco became trade bait.

Mike

Hot Lead
10-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Wow !! My first thread on Cast Boolits forum and what a fantastic response from my fellow hot leaders. Thanks for all the advice. I should be able to pick up the dies and run !!