PDA

View Full Version : 45 70 working up a new load

dangerranger
11-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Im starting a new load for my Bufalo Classic. I had some sucesses and some failures. first I had ignition problems I was using new Rem brass, and Win large rifle primers. I use a Lee hand primer to install the primers. and seated them as I always do. and checked to make shure they were all seated visualy. all were seated just below the surface of the case. but when shooting I had to drop the hammer on them at least twice. when I got back home I fired some of the primed but empty cases and they also had to be hit twice. so I reseated them with as much force as my thumb would go. now they are working. maybe being new cases it takes a little extra force the first time.

Im looking fore a load thats easy on the shoulder and accurite to 200yds. So I thought Id try some subsonic loads first. I tried 12 and 13 grains of Trail Boss. both loads scattered the bullits all over the target, about an 8" pattern with half hitting sideways.

then I tried some H4198 under a lead 405g bullit. 26 gr seemed to give the best group with both Id tried at 1 3/4 and 1 7/8" at 50 yds. now I want to play with the seating depth.

heres the question, with my newly fired cases my boolits can be pushed into the cases with a pretty good push. being a single shot can I just hand seat a few at differant lengths till I find a winner, or will I need to crimp them in place? Thanks DR

missionary5155
11-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Good morning
Yes being a single shot you do not need to resize but there are some factors you need to consider.
Is your boolit fat enough for the throat ? I am content to have my boolits + .001 - .002 over throat size in my larger bores.
You can try just neck sizing the brass . Smokeless can benefit from good case -boolit tension but not to the point case tension is resizing the boolit.
You can also seat your boolits out to touch the rifling. My 45īs seem to like that seating arrangment.
And of course there are numerous slower powders to try...

Rick459
11-07-2010, 01:47 PM
get a primer pocket uniformer tool and a flash hole de-burring tool and that will should solve your ingnition problems or tell you if it is the primers that are the problem. maybe this will also help you. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=59371
Rick

justingrosche
11-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I cast and loaded some Lee 405's for a friend to use on his hog hunt in Texas last year. As I remember, loaded on new Win cases, Win LRP and 16 grain Unique, crimped on groove. The rifle was a H&R SB2. He was able to drop his Hogzilla at about 50 yards , with full penetration through both shoulders.
Im sure that I used a Lee hand primer and never had any ignition problems.

dangerranger
11-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Missionary, My bore measures .4565, and the boolits are sized to .4575. if need be Ill have the sizer reamed to.458.

Rick, Ill try that. after reseating with as much pressure as my thumb would give they have all gone bang. they did not seem to move , but are working now.

Thanks All DR

Shooter6br
11-07-2010, 04:57 PM
i have a Ruger NO 1 in 45-70 i use a Ranchdog 350g FP. it drops .460 I would try it. i got keyholes with undersized Lyman bullets Just a thought