PDA

View Full Version : best .44 bullet weight ?

bigboredad
11-06-2010, 11:21 PM
:Fire:Just getting back into the .44 mag and was looking for the best all around bullet weight. I have a ruger super blackhawk hunter and I realize there is no one magic bullet weight but I know there are weights that just work better than most. Kind of like the 270 Keith bullet bullet in the .45 colt is a pretty good compromise. So I would like to hear what weight and velocities you have had good luck with.

RobS
11-06-2010, 11:41 PM
For cast...............245ish up to 300ish are all good weights. What is your intended plans with the 44mag???

Dale53
11-06-2010, 11:51 PM
I have shot my .44 Magnums a good deal. I have excellent results with the 250 gr Keith (my favorite is the H&G #503 from a MiHec mould). I have that bullet both solid and hollow point. From personal experience it will shoot through a large Whitetail Deer lengthwise. It shoots well (under an 1" at 25 yards and will put most bullets on a playing card at 100 yards from a rest). Even at Magnum velocities, recoil is tolerable in six inch and longer barrels. It is a "bit much" in a 4" Model 629. I can hit well with it in the 4" at "full steam" but it's not something I want to shoot 100 rounds at a time through it.

Frank Siefer (of F&M Reloading) and I designed the Lee C430-310 RF. It turned out to be the most accurate bullet we have shot through our .44 Magnums (at least to 100 yards - that's the limit of our home range). However, recoil is beginning to be a "bit much" for fun shooting.

Here's my take on it:
I would pick the 250 Keith for general use and hunting including anything up to Whitetails, hogs, and black bear. For anything larger, I would pick the Lee 310.

Dale53

bigboredad
11-07-2010, 12:34 AM
thanks rob for the info my plan is just to find a good all around bullet weight one that is good for just knocking rock around to being able to stop a four legged threat and taking some steaks for the table.

Dale
as always great info and great suggestion .but my one question is a gas check really necessary on the .44 heavy weights I really like the way the lee 310 looks and have always thought it would be a good performer but I would prefer to stay away from gas checks

Dale53
11-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Most all of my shooting has been done with a PLAIN base bullet. However, that bullet was designed within a time frame (Frank was about to leave on a hunting trip to Alaska) and we decided on a gas check bullet. It works fine in a rifle at velocities that would be prohibitive with a plain base.

.44 magnum revolver generally works just fine with a plain base. However, there are those revolvers that just do better with a gas check.

So, you pays your money and makes your choice.

Dale53

white eagle
11-07-2010, 12:55 AM
I am torn between a p/b 250 keith style and a 320gr gc Accurate Molds boolit
this year the plan is for the 320 to get the hunting chore with a 50/50 alloy

fredj338
11-07-2010, 01:46 AM
The RCBS 245gr or Lyman 245grSWC is a good all around bullet choice. I like the Lyman Dev mold w/ modified pin to throw a 270grLHP @ 1250fps in my RBHB. GOing to try it out next week on some whitetail.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/44-272.jpg

Bass Ackward
11-07-2010, 08:33 AM
The best bullet weight depends on your gun and how you want to shoot it. (And the best style of bullet also)

Think of bullet weight / length / and velocity as merely time.

Time to allow correction in cylinder to bore alignment so that transition from cylinder to bore can occur without distorting (bending) the bullets base out of square which is the steering wheel of the bullet.

This is why lower pressure cartridges (slower acceleration thus more time) and longer barrels tend to be more accurate than short barrels too as both result in less muzzle pressure to ruin the launch of the bullet when it is no longer controlled.

The better the alignment, under the pressure level you desire to use, the lighter the bullet that you can launch well under higher pressure.

In other words, you have more design, weight, and hardness flexibility with a better gun, lower pressure loads, and longer barrels. Another way to say this is that heavier bullets percaliber and longer barrels are easier to shoot well. (more idiot proof) :grin:

Once you understand this concept and learn the reality of THAT gun, everything from picking bullet styles to weight "for IT" is simplified. Same goes for everything else.

44man
11-07-2010, 09:34 AM
I have to argue with Dale, maybe for the first time! [smilie=l:
The 310 Lee works to perfection on deer. Any boolit good enough for real large game also works on even small deer out of the .44.
It is not unpleasant to shoot either. I use 21.5 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer.
I shoot from 240 to 330 gr and the Ruger will shoot them all. I suppose the 320 gr LBT WLNG, the Lee 310 and my 330 gr copy of the LBT take first place for me for anything you want to shoot.
Then the RD 265 gr with 22 gr of 296 is extremely accurate.
It is better to choose one boolit, make it shoot like you want and go hunting or shoot cans. The .44 is great.
I only suggest you don't look for quick expansion, it will stop penetration. I use water dropped WW metal for the .44.
50-50 is OK but oven harden them and use a gas check.
The .44 needs no expansion at all. A little does not hurt but stay away from explosive boolits. Those huge soft hollow point soft boolits can cost you deer.

44man
11-07-2010, 09:38 AM
The best bullet weight depends on your gun and how you want to shoot it. (And the best style of bullet also)

Think of bullet weight / length / and velocity as merely time.

Time to allow correction in cylinder to bore alignment so that transition from cylinder to bore can occur without distorting (bending) the bullets base out of square which is the steering wheel of the bullet.

This is why lower pressure cartridges (slower acceleration thus more time) and longer barrels tend to be more accurate than short barrels too as both result in less muzzle pressure to ruin the launch of the bullet when it is no longer controlled.

The better the alignment, under the pressure level you desire to use, the lighter the bullet that you can launch well under higher pressure.

In other words, you have more design, weight, and hardness flexibility with a better gun, lower pressure loads, and longer barrels. Another way to say this is that heavier bullets percaliber and longer barrels are easier to shoot well. (more idiot proof) :grin:

Once you understand this concept and learn the reality of THAT gun, everything from picking bullet styles to weight "for IT" is simplified. Same goes for everything else.
Gee whiz Bass, have you come full circle to my thinking? :Fire:This is the best thing you ever posted and I don't even have my hat on. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Bass Ackward
11-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Gee whiz Bass, have you come full circle to my thinking? :Fire:This is the best thing you ever posted and I don't even have my hat on. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

:groner:

What planet have you been on? Been saying this all along. Just written a little simpler is all.

So the real question is to ask yourself why it took so long for "YOU" to realize it. :bigsmyl2:

But please re-read it again. Nothing there about ultra hard only, twist rate matching, anti-line boring, slamming semiwadcutters and on and on so if it makes you feel better, there is still a divide. :bigsmyl2:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day. Try to teach a man to fish and after about 10 years he can catch on (pun intended) if his hat ain't too tight. :kidding:

softpoint
11-07-2010, 10:42 AM
If I were to pick only one mold in .44, it would be the 250 grain SWC gascheck. Some of my revolvers shoot the various 300grain boolits better, but some had to have sight modifications or replacements to zero with those bullets.
I've also had good luck with the plain base boolits, but they tend to lead in my .44 carbine at top velocities, so I'd pick the gascheck versions, and the gascheck designs seem to produce a little better accuracy, although the gascheck adds a little cost to the boolits.:smile:

Blammer
11-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Yes, make sure you pick just ONE mould, otherwise.....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44list-1.jpg

If I had to pick ONE to START with, it'd be the 429667.

runfiverun
11-07-2010, 11:33 AM
if i had to pick just one for all around use the 429667 type is where i'd go too.
all those 44's up there and i only have one of those molds.
i do have about 4-5 44 molds too.
you really don't need more than 240 -275 grs in a 44 to get the job done.
if you do i would suggest another gun, quit being a wuss and go up to the 445 then you can take advantage of the 300's effectively.

44man
11-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I love you Bass, we just have too much fun! :bigsmyl2:
I think everyone else here sees through us too. You, complicated, me simple but always in agreement---for the most part. :kidding:

ironhead7544
11-07-2010, 12:24 PM
For just one bullet a 240/250 gr GC would be my pick. Will work at high and low speeds. If you have a rifle then get one thats feeds properly. It will work in the handguns too. JMHO

44man
11-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes, make sure you pick just ONE mould, otherwise.....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44list-1.jpg

If I had to pick ONE to START with, it'd be the 429667.
I hate that pile of boolits because I don't have near that many. I get jealous! :brokenima

mdi
11-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks Blammer for that pic. How does Ranchdog's 265 gr. and 300 gr. designs fit into the comparison? I have the 265 gr. and it shoots good through all my .44s, and even though I havent hunted with them I understand they do very good on game.

GP100man
11-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I have shot my .44 Magnums a good deal. I have excellent results with the 250 gr Keith (my favorite is the H&G #503 from a MiHec mould). I have that bullet both solid and hollow point. From personal experience it will shoot through a large Whitetail Deer lengthwise. It shoots well (under an 1" at 25 yards and will put most bullets on a playing card at 100 yards from a rest). Even at Magnum velocities, recoil is tolerable in six inch and longer barrels. It is a "bit much" in a 4" Model 629. I can hit well with it in the 4" at "full steam" but it's not something I want to shoot 100 rounds at a time through it.

Frank Siefer (of F&M Reloading) and I designed the Lee C430-310 RF. It turned out to be the most accurate bullet we have shot through our .44 Magnums (at least to 100 yards - that's the limit of our home range). However, recoil is beginning to be a "bit much" for fun shooting.

Here's my take on it:
I would pick the 250 Keith for general use and hunting including anything up to Whitetails, hogs, and black bear. For anything larger, I would pick the Lee 310.

Dale53

Dale 53

Thank You Sir !! for your input on the Lee 430 310 RF!!!

I to have turned to the 429421 keith for general shootin what needs shootin boolit then the 310 Lee for the serious problems !!

Nice pic Blammer!!! How long has it taken to compile those molds ????

GP:lovebooli

RobS
11-07-2010, 01:25 PM
The NOE RD 432-265-RF is a very good design; however it doesn't take advantage of the long Ruger cylinders. The short crimp doesn't have ill effects on accurcy with this design though. The Keiths will shoot very well, I've done it, and many others have been very satisfied with the design throughout the years…………………...

This is my take on the Keith..........it can be made to shoot and in some guns easier than others. I've been able to find the right alloy, powder, powder charge, bullet diameter etc to have excellent groups and found very good accuracy at long ranges; it is a design that is a bit picky. With that my favored bullet design goes to a LFN style as it shoots with much less difficulty. A person doesn't have to work as hard to make one of them fly into 1-1.5" groups and they are very good performers at long ranges.

If one is not planning on going to custom mold making then the 429667 will probably be the easiest to find accuracy with. The Lee 310 GC bullet is also a very good performer but a GC is in there and the weight may not be necessary for your intentions. I just recently designed a mold at Accurate Molds (45-300B) for the 45 cal and it has been a dead ringer. A custom mold maker has advantages in that you can design to your guns specs and your likings.

bigboredad
11-07-2010, 02:05 PM
thanks to all for their help I was hoping 44man would jump in as I know he knows how to make a ruger in .44mag shoot good. I understand what bass is saying I think in my .45 rugers the best accuracy I get in all velocities and all my ruger .45's is the lee 340 grain rnfp designed for the 45/70. When I'm having a bad day I can pull those out and go home not feeling bad. I'm not looking for expansion and I really like the rnfp design over the Keith even though I shot the 270 grain Keith in my .45's for my everyday bullet.

Larry Gibson
11-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I also suggest getting 2 moulds; one for general shooting/practice and one for serious hunting. I find the Keith style 250 gr SWCs to be a very good bullet for the former use and certainly is a good hunting bullet in it's own right. I use the Lyman 429421, The RCBS 44-250-K, Lee TL430-240-SWC (6 cavity mould - makes a nice "plinker" for lower 44 Special loads) and the GB 6 cavity Lee 429421. The GB mould bullet is getting a lot of use lately. When cast hard these shoot very well in my .44s up through 1400 fps. However, for serious hunting I prefer a softer cast bullet that expands. To push a softer alloyed bullet that will expand at 1400+ fps requires a GC for accuracy and no leading. I have not had the good shooting with the 300+ gr bullets that some favor, perhaps because my revolvers are relatively light and I don't like the recoil. I found that the Lyman 429244 or the "Devastater" in HP form is a very good bullet. Cast of 1-20 or 1-16 alloy and in HP it expands exceptionally well in deer, elk and pigs. It also gives all the penetration desired. An alloy of 50/50 WW/lead also works very well. My 429244 cast a 270 gr bullet, fully dressed, with such alloy. At 1450 fps it delivers all I could ask for from a 6 1/2" barreled Ruger .44 Magnum revolver or from my 4" Colt Anaconda. I got the mould back when I had a 7 1/2" RSBH and it did not go with that revolver when I sold it. I shouldn't have sold it but I replaced it with a 50th Aniversary FT and am very pleased with it as it can be easily carried in a belt holster.

Larry Gibson

Blammer
11-07-2010, 06:00 PM
That picture is out of date as I have a few more moulds I've added so I need to get it updated. Fatnhappy gave me a SC 44 cal mould when I started posting here. My collection has grown since then. :)

The RD 265gr is a GREAT boolit! (need to add it to the pic) mine is a NOE Ranch Dog version. It feeds very will from my bolt gun as the nose is short enough for feeding from the magazine. (R77) If I were to use it in my pistols I may seat it longer but I'm pleanty happy with it as is when seated normally.

Dale53
11-07-2010, 06:45 PM
44man;
Actually, we are pretty much in agreement - nothing more than a SLIGHT difference in opinion. I am actually quite proud of the Lee 310 (it rather surprised me when Lee added it to their regular catalog). Lee thought it just didn't LOOK like a proper bullet. I refused to alter the design and they acquiesced. Frank had to take 20 or 25 moulds to pay for the tooling but they sold quickly and well. I suspect some of Lee's employees are shooters and tried it out. When they realized the performance envelope (combination of accuracy and "smash") they put it in the regular line-up and later added the 300 gr .45 colt.

At any rate, I like the Keith 250 for most uses but the .310 is always available for larger game if needed.

Hey, 44 Man, my friend - what ever spins your propeller!!:drinks:

Dale53

44man
11-07-2010, 07:49 PM
44man;
Actually, we are pretty much in agreement - nothing more than a SLIGHT difference in opinion. I am actually quite proud of the Lee 310 (it rather surprised me when Lee added it to their regular catalog). Lee thought it just didn't LOOK like a proper bullet. I refused to alter the design and they acquiesced. Frank had to take 20 or 25 moulds to pay for the tooling but they sold quickly and well. I suspect some of Lee's employees are shooters and tried it out. When they realized the performance envelope (combination of accuracy and "smash") they put it in the regular line-up and later added the 300 gr .45 colt.

At any rate, I like the Keith 250 for most uses but the .310 is always available for larger game if needed.

Hey, 44 Man, my friend - what ever spins your propeller!!:drinks:

Dale53
That boolit sure does spin it----for sure.

x101airborne
11-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Blammer, I feel like less of a man after seeing your pic..... As far as my recommendation, anything Ranch Dog will do the best, at least it has for me. I shoot several 44's and the 300 gc Ranch Dog has worked in them all. i owe my allegiance to cast to Ranch Dog. Im not saying he has the last word, but dont give up on a caliber until you try his slugs.

bigboredad
11-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I will end up with at least two molds for the .44 and I'll most likely get a 250 grain of some shape or other just to get shooting and become familiar with it. Then I would really like to try the heavier weights as i really like the big heavy ones and the performance I get as well as what I have seen others on here get

MakeMineA10mm
11-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Wow, Bigboredad, you've gotten input from a great number of the authorities on this sight. All of them have made great points. Generally:

Nothing wrong with RNs, especially for a general-purpose range/practice and small-game bullet

The Keith in 245gr-270gr is both a classic and VERY effective and accurate. A true do-it-all bullet in the 44.

Last, if you want maximum penetration and "power," look for a heavier RNFP, but don't go too heavy. The 310gr Lee generally is about the heaviest I'd use. I've tried 335s and they're too much for a general-use 44 (used in any 44 gun, not just the long-cylinder Rugers). My personal preference is the Lyman 430640 (in custom group-buy guise - thanks Boomer Mikey!), which weighs in around 285-290grs depending on alloy.

My Heavy Keith group buy:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=179&pictureid=1299

Boomer's group buy Fat 640 (awesome in the 444 Marlin, but my favorite 44 Carbine bullet too):
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=179&pictureid=1034

bigboredad
11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Makemine
yeah it's great to be able to ask a question and get help from guys that have done it and more than once. The guys here really know what they are doing. before I found this site I thought I had a pretty good idea about my hobbies. Boy do I feel like I don't know a thing now:shock: but at least I have some place to ask a question a get good answers:cbpour:

thanks everyone
bigboredad[smilie=s: