PDA

View Full Version : help!

blaser.306
11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I am trying to lube some acww/range scrap 316299 noe boolits solid and H/P and size to .314 w C/red lube and .30 cal Gator checks , I have a Lyman 4500 w/ heat . The idea being that I want to hunt with them this fall . The problem that I am running into is by the time I get the gas check into the sizing die the boolit has already either taken on the shape of a stepped on marshmallow or the shank of said boolit bends and hits the side of the die ! They size real nise when water quenched but I want to have some expantion on game if/when the chance arisses . Thanks for looking/help !

oneokie
11-06-2010, 07:35 PM
You say they size good when water quenched. A redneck suggestion.....
Water quench, seat the gas check and size, do not apply lube. (a light coat of LLA will make sizing easier) After sizing and seating the gas checks, oven heat treat and let air cool. This will anneal the alloy. Then run back through the sizer and lube them.

runfiverun
11-06-2010, 07:50 PM
water quenched alloy acts much like regular alloy on game.
you could also water quench and size etc then de-temper the nose only just like annealing brass sept you don't tip them over in the water or heat them to red hot.

Mk42gunner
11-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Or get a Lee sizer and lap it out to the size you need; install the gaschecks with it; then lube in your 4500.

More work I know, but you shouldn't need very many for hunting.

Robert

geargnasher
11-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Yup, seat the checks and size in a push-through, then lube with the Lyman sizer. Or, if you don't have the correct size push through, you can remove the "I" part (ejector rod) from the 4500 sizer die and take the stop bolt and jamb nut out of the machine and seat the checks/size the boolits by shoving them nose-first through your 4500 with a flat top punch, then reinstall everything and lube them base-first like normal using the correct, nose-fitting top punch.

Gear