PDA

View Full Version : gar balls

starmac
11-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Does anyone have a good gar ball recipe.

I'm thinking it would work good on pike.

DIRT Farmer
11-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I have caught a lot of gar, have never cleaned one, something about sparks comming off a carbide saw blade when cutting the skin in the one article I read on cleaning and cooking them. They should really get big now with the asian carp in the river now.

JJC
11-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Once again, I typed and I erased. If I wrote all my wise a$$ coments I would have way more posts. Hope you get the response you are looking for. John

DragoonDrake
11-07-2010, 07:05 AM
I have cleaned enough fish to know they have testies (sp?), but I have never found balls underneath one before.

Sorry could not help myself.

Adam

TCLouis
11-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Just DO NOT eat the roe if you should clean one.

Dale in Louisiana
11-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Gar was not uncommon fare when I was a kid on the bayou.

Dad would nail one to a post with a big nail through the head, then take a sharp hatchet and a hammer and drive the hatchet down the length of the back, peeling off a skin-thickness strip, then he would peel the skin off sideways a bit at a time.

Once the meat was separate from the skin, Mom would use a spoon to scrape the meat from the tendons which were all through the meat. After the meat was removed from the tendons, then she'd mix it with breadcrumbs, chopped onions, parsley and spices and an egg or two, then form the mess into balls (Boulets, pronounced boo-lets) and fry them a bit then dump them into a simmering pot of savory tomato and roux-based gravy.

After simmering for a while, it was served over rice.

dale in louisiana

Triggerhappy
11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Dale, seems like a LOT of work for a little meat. Lot's of work to prepare too. Maybe just leave the fish out and use the rest of the stuff...

Dale in Louisiana
11-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Dale, seems like a LOT of work for a little meat. Lot's of work to prepare too. Maybe just leave the fish out and use the rest of the stuff...

Wow! We've just invented HUSHPUPPIES!

Yeah, it was a lot of work, but it was what folks did. And tasted darned good, too!

dale in Louisiana

DIRT Farmer
11-07-2010, 11:34 PM
They are a lot of fun to fish for, Some around here use a gar fly on fly rods, most catch them when fishing for other fish.

starmac
11-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Dale that is not the recipe I was looking for , but similar.

I remember them if I'm not mistaken cooking them in a pressure and then running them through a grinder, before adding the ingrediants and frying.

We used to grind bream and season to taste too. I don't remember what all we added though.

WILCO
11-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Once again, I typed and I erased. If I wrote all my wise a$$ coments I would have way more posts. Hope you get the response you are looking for. John

I've been in the same boat many, many times.