PDA

View Full Version : 450 Lube Piston O-ring

TCLouis
11-06-2010, 04:29 PM
So after 30 years or so it finally bit the dust.

I wnt to the big box store and was pleasantly surprised to find one in the water supply area.

Installed it and it went bad and leaked within a couple of day.
when I took it out it was affected by the 50/50 and was worthless.

Sooooo . . . .I am assuming I have to find a supply of O-rings that are designed/formulated to be in contact with petroleum based products.

Industrial supply outfit?

Gasket house?

Bearing House?

TCLouis
11-06-2010, 04:29 PM
So after 30 years or so it finally bit the dust.

I went to the big box store and was pleasantly surprised to find one in the water supply area.

Installed it and it went bad and leaked within a couple of days.
when I took it out it was affected by the 50/50 and was worthless.

Sooooo . . . .I am assuming I have to find a supply of O-rings that are designed/formulated to be in contact with petroleum based products.

Industrial supply outfit?

Gasket house?

Bearing House?

Bill*
11-06-2010, 06:14 PM
I would try an auto parts store

fryboy
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
an auto parts or a industrial hydraulic hose shop ;) sometimes a hardware store will have one that will work and be oil safe , lyman's parts seem to be a little slow but usually cheap enough ( and it was a good excuse to order a new piston for my new #45 :-P )

oneokie
11-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Ask for O-rings made of Viton or EPDM.

gray wolf
11-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Would I be suggesting something stupid if I said call Lyman.

skeet1
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
I got mine at Ace Hardware The have a selection of different size "O" rings. I took the piston with me and found the ones I thought would work and they do. Even though my lubri/sizer is an RCBS I would think they all use "O" ring of the same type.

Skeet1

geargnasher
11-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Ask for O-rings made of Viton or EPDM.

Bingo. Viton, or a variant, is specifically designed to function without swelling when exposed to petroleum solvents. Automotive air conditioning o-rings are composed of Viton or an enhanced Viton formula, although I'm not sure an auto parts store will have a selection that includes any big enough for the piston. A hydralulic supply house that sells rebuild kits might be the ticket.

Gear

montana_charlie
11-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Would I be suggesting something stupid if I said call Lyman.
Makes sense to me.

Lyman sells them online for a buck each and the stock number is 2990689.
CM

TCLouis
11-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Industrial gasket sales is one mile from the office.
Layman parts are a week away.

Unlike the average city sales desk person the desk man had to go to a chart and try to determine which size was correct

Chance was 50/50 . . .

YEPPERS he got it wrong . . . oh well back tomorrow.

rbuck351
11-09-2010, 01:37 AM
My lyman 450 uses a brass split bushing thing instead of O rings. Does anyone know if one works better than the other and when they switched or is mine not a stock piston?

montana_charlie
11-09-2010, 01:51 AM
My lyman 450 uses a brass split bushing thing instead of O rings. Does anyone know if one works better than the other and when they switched or is mine not a stock piston?
That is the style found in the #45. If it was used in any 450s it must have been some of the early ones.

I have a #45, and the new piston with o-rings works perfectly in it.
CM

rbuck351
11-09-2010, 02:05 AM
I don't when they came out with the 450 but I bought mine about 1968/70.

fryboy
11-09-2010, 10:25 AM

IF your brass collar doesnt leak ( many do ) then it works just as well as the new style piston does and it will never need a o-ring , the last is a big plus , out of 4 # 45's i have owned all leaked but one , to be fair that one oozed just a wee bit if it was clean and dry when the pressure was first applied , the other 3 leaked in varying degrees ( in part lube consistency plays a part as does temp. ) as M.C. stated the new piston will work and it's extremely economical !!
not sure of the dates but they were still cranking out 45's in the mid 50's ( i like the older ones best )

TCLouis
11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Oneokie

They are viton, luckily the inept counterman yesterday gave me EP, NOT EPDM and the guy today got me vieon.

For those that are interested, they seem to be #211s.

Now back to casting!

Those 358160 RNFP GB boolits sure do go where I point em.