PDA

View Full Version : Zinc!?

eagle4g63
11-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Ok, so from what I am reading on here...zinc in your lead is bad juju. However I have read that you can cast with zinc and it makes hard cast bullets, you just have to cast at a higher heat and NOT use my lee melting pot so as not to wear out my steel lining. Also aluminum molds aren't a good thing with this stuff either. Another post I read about what a guy should do with the zinc is trade it in for lead at the recycle place due to it's cost being higher. SOOOO, I have a buddy that can get a hold of zinc for nothing and pretty much what I want of it. Should I be getting whatever he can get me for either of those reasons?

2wheelDuke
11-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Ok, so from what I am reading on here...zinc in your lead is bad juju. However I have read that you can cast with zinc and it makes hard cast bullets, you just have to cast at a higher heat and NOT use my lee melting pot so as not to wear out my steel lining. Also aluminum molds aren't a good thing with this stuff either. Another post I read about what a guy should do with the zinc is trade it in for lead at the recycle place due to it's cost being higher. SOOOO, I have a buddy that can get a hold of zinc for nothing and pretty much what I want of it. Should I be getting whatever he can get me for either of those reasons?

Anything free is hard to turn down. You could trade that zinc for lead at the right yard, or sell it outright and use that money for whatever you want, and take care of that friend of yours of course.

eagle4g63
11-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah he is a good friend, He doesn't reload but keeps all his brass and shot shells for me. This year he bought a 22-250 and came over with money for me to buy a set of dies for it and anything else I needed to load him some of those rounds, Heck I even been scrounging and trading for brass for his gun since he gives me so much other stuff I can use.

runfiverun
11-06-2010, 08:36 PM
search zinc a little further on this sight.