PDA

View Full Version : How To - 220 Swift GC Bullets

John Boy
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Have never put a GC on a bullet, so here we go:
* How to put a GC on a RCBS 22-055-SP bullet (0.225")?

Background: Have a 1960's custom made Paul Jeager 220 Swift. Presently reload and shoot jacket bullets for it. I do not want to wear the bore out on this rifle, so will be using only lead in the future.
Thanks for the help Gents

felix
11-06-2010, 04:02 PM
JB, bullets/boolits won't wear the gun out; ignition temperature will, but only the area ahead of the case mouth. ... felix

475BH
11-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Just don't run it full throttle.
I have a heavy barreled varminter in .22-250 AI, some 40 gr. LRNGC bullets and I am going to try a lite charge of reddot for my first load.
I'll be watching this thread to see how you are doing. Good Luck.:-)

runfiverun
11-06-2010, 08:19 PM
depending on which type of sizer you have.
you will either use a seater or put it on the base and push it through.
i have a 12 twist in my 223 and with the rcbs from linotype i have held good accuracy through 2800 fps.
i'd start at about 13 grs of 2400 and go up for an easy start.
then go to the slower powders if i wanted more velocity.

beagle
11-06-2010, 11:26 PM
The Swift, like other .22 cast calibers, will do well if you keep the velocity in the range of 1800-2400 FPS. My old shooting partner wanted to run his full throttle and often could not keep them on paper at 50 yards.

The 22-55-SP ought to do well in the Swift at the velocities stated above./beagle

Mavrick
11-07-2010, 01:26 PM
There's no value to using cast in a Swift, except a h*** of a lot of fun!!! If most of your shooting is at paper, it's great, but if you're trying to save the barrel by using lead while using it like a Swift...no luck! IMO, not so humble, FWIW, use the gun for what it's made, then replace the tube. If you want to continue using it as a Swift, there are PLENTY of smiths out there that are as good as Jaeger was, and the barrels are much better than he was able to get. Just have them duplicate what's on there. Or...you can rebore.
OTOH, cast is pure fun! I'm not familiar with that mold...is it a gc? You can install the gc as you lubrisize. Put the gc in the die, put the boolit on top, and move handle-done. Or...not use it. Either not use it, or modify the mold to not have a place for the gc.
Have fun,
Gene