PDA

View Full Version : Need little help

Jim,In
11-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I have an old NEI mold that drops 55gr and a 62gr in .225 how hard would the bullets be cast with WW drop in cold water. Jim

HeavyMetal
11-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Depends on the WW type, clip on or stick on, and where and when it was made.

Sticl on ww generally is reguarded as "pure" lead and droping them in cold water only nets you the ability to handle them right away!

Clip on's, depending on alloy make up, generally hit about 12 to 14 BHN.

Because of the caliber these two molds are I'm going to guess you want to shoot these in a
rifle?

My suggestion is going to be state what your caliber is, what gun it is, and what velocity and purpose you have in mind for the loads.

Then someone here can share a success story with you.

44man
11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
My WD, WW's come out at 22 BHN.

geargnasher
11-06-2010, 02:48 PM
+1 44man, clip-ons in the .45 caliber range usually do for me too. I don't know if the same would be true for the .22 calibers, I would think they should be if they don't cool off too much on their trip to the water.

Gear

Char-Gar
11-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Water quenched WW will be plenty hard for whatever use you wish.

I would like to give you some food for thought. These little .225 bullets are not the easiest to case. Linotype will make casting these bullets much easier. Linotype has a high antimony content was designed to give a complete fill out on small lines of type. This is a real asset when casting itty bitty bullets and the alloy is plenty hard enough.

You will bve able to get about 116 of those bullets per pound of type metal. That makes even this fairly expensive alloy easy on the pocketbook.

runfiverun
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM
it's hard to keep the mold and boolits hot enough to get a good drop and consistent temp.
i'd go for either, alloy or for heat treating.
i just use linotype and inspect them like they owe you money and just got paid.