PDA

View Full Version : evaluation of Pat's Checkmaker on the $25 Lee "Reloader" press

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I've had Pat's 30 cal checkmaker for a few months.
I made some check's right away.
There was a learning curve to using this Die, but Pat's instructions
on the online PDF file helped alot.
I had an issue with the ejector pin. I tried polishing it
as suggested by other checkmaker users,
but I still had a problem, the ejector pin wouldn't fall back into the forming die.
well after some examination I deduced that the space in
the Lee classic cast press (where the primer arm fits) was to close in size to
the ejector pin plus the retaining spring in the Ram that holds the shell holder/check forming die, held the check forming die slightly crooked.
Long story short, a temporry solution was to use a piece of tape as a shim,
So the check forming die is held square so the ejector pin falls freely
into the space where the primer arm fits into the Ram.
the REAL solution for me will be to get an adaptor and use Lee's "Reloader Press"
instead of the "Classic Cast" press

Well that was about 6 weeks ago.
I haven't done anything with the checkmaker,
except order another checkmaker (35 cal) from Pat and a adaptor from "30CAL-TEXAN" and a $25 Lee "Reloader" press

the adaptor made by"30CAL-TEXAN" as shown in this photo:
http://www.patmarlins.com/5leeBreachlock.jpg

Well today, Pat's 35 cal Checkmaker arrived and I had time to
mount the "Reloader press" and try out the Adaptor I got from "30CAL-TEXAN"
with the new die. I had an issue with the ejector pin again. it wouldn't fall all the way down into the Check forming die...just part way. This time, polishing off the machining lines was all that was needed. In about an hour or so, I turned 2 Pop cans into about 80 gas checks (35 cal). and they fit nicely on a "C" type .358 158 gr. Lee boolit I cast recently. I am really counting on it fitting nice on the RD 9mm 135 gr. mold I have on order...should be delivered soon.

The adaptor from "30CAL-TEXAN" worked great. The only thing about it is
you have to disconnect the ram from the linkage to assemble and disassemble
the die, which is just an "E" ring and a pin...also the ram must be turned 180 degrees inside the press for proper function.

The Checkmaker Die Pat sells is really a great design,
once past the learning curve, it is a joy to use.

Tricks I've learned (for pop can aluminum) from other's here include:

1. Be sure the strip's are cut perfectly straight and square, which isn't that easy with the cheapo Harbor Freight paper cutter on the curved aluminum.

2. Then when punching the disc's, use two strips at once, they cut much cleaner than a single strip...others here punch 3 discs at a time, well 35 cal discs on the little "Reloader" press was too much, I couldn't punch 3 at once.

3. Also when punching the strips, after a punch, move the strip backward
0.010" or so and gently press with cutter die to straighten the strip
if it has been pulled down by the cutter die from the previous punch action,
then slide the strip forward for the next punch.

I think the workmanship and machining quality on these dies are fantastic
for the price Pat charges. I assume he will address the need for polishing
the machine lines on the shank of the ejector pin.
Jon

PatMarlin
11-06-2010, 02:22 AM
Looks good Jon.

Interesting you have had your ejector pin hang up in your press with both of your dies. One of my QC checks is to make sure that pin operates up and down without hanging up, and in my LEE Classic Cast Single that I keep on the bench in the shop does not hang up with the pins. Of course a bad part is always possible.

There could be something else going on here, and no way to tell without using your press, but as you found polishing, which reduces the diameter makes it smoother and work with your press.

I'll admit, I'm not 100% happy with my machine finish, and I'm working on that daily. Part of it is my seasoned inexperience as a machinist, but a big part has been finding the right combination of carbide inserts that work the best with CNC machining, my machines rigidity in setups, and limitations. It's a challenge. Some items I'm pretty happy with and others not. I just keep at it. Making them on my manual machines with HSS makes it much easier to produce a nice finish, but I would go broke with the time needed. CNC and carbide makes production possible.

On true polishing, that's something that the user can do if they wish. When the dies leave here they work like they're supposed to, and if they don't- get ahold of me right away as that means somethings not right. I'll take care of it pronto.

As it stands these dies are labor intensive and even require a great deal of second operation work in addition to a lot of CNC machine time. If I was to polish these dies they would have to be 4-5 times the cost. But my goal is to perfect the finish as best as it possibly can be, and that is improving with time.

30CAL-TEXAN
11-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm glad everything works for you Jon!

I know what you mean about the limits of the small Reloader Press when it comes to punching disks. I punched some brass out for an experiment and I think I am lucky to still have a press. I am pretty sure that if I press hard enought I could easily break that thing in half!

As far as the ejector pin goes, if you have any more trouble you might try rubing some Bull Plate on the pieces. I'm not sure who sugested it but I was having trouble with the checks sticking on the forming die (also while experimenting with brass and really thick alum) so I just got a little bit of Bull Plate on my fingers and wiped all of the parts. After that nothing stuck together for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure how Bull Plate became the ultimate fix all for most of the problems addressed on this site but hey I guess if it works it works.

PatMarlin
11-07-2010, 01:21 PM
If I were you guys I would start looking for a stronger press to add to your setup. You're eventually going to need one anyway. Those LEE's are aluminum, and really aren't built to handle a lot of reloading even. You will wear it out, and it will begun to show at some point.

I think it's a testament to my die design, and I'll pat (no pun intended ...:mrgreen:) myself on the back with it that the dies work with these light presses. Specially when it had been reported that a reloading press was "all wrong" and to light for making gas checks and an arbor press was needed.

But when your ejector pin hangs up it's possible that it's not being pushed up plumb and the press maybe flexing. That very well may or may not be the case but eventually you are going to want a press like the LEE Classic Cast.

By any measure in the industry, it's a lifetime purchase and you'll pat yourself on the back for buying it- every time you see it there on your reloading bench.

It would be my first choice, but the Rockchucker and other industry standard heavy duty presses are all a joy to use. I like the LEE specially for the height-headroom.

While I engineered the dies to work with the widest possible range in metals, some thicker material is going to hang up on the male die. That's why I offer a custom male die to your specs. Cost is $9.95 shipped. I haven't used Bullplate on the Checkmaker™, but I sure do use it on my molds. If it works, I shout out more kudos to Daniel for such an innovative product ...:drinks:

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Pat,
I agree, your checkmaker die design is a great design.
The fact that I bought a second checkmaker should be a testament to that.
I'll probably buy a third one from you too...a 44PB when you get there.

BTW, I have several presses, including a Lee Classic Cast. I have the Classic Cast setup for swagging. It is kind of a pain to tear it down to make checks.
I did use the Classic Cast for the 30 cal die I got from you 6 or 7 weeks ago.
My plan is to only use popcan aluminum. The Lee "Reloader" seems to do that just fine as my first post/evaluation stated. I did try some of the copper you sent me, yes that is tougher, I'd definately take your advice and use a heftier press for that...and I assume the .011 aluminum flashing many others are using would be as tough or more so than the copper. I could surely see how making checks out of the tougher/thicker material would prematurely wear out/break the little Lee "reloader".
thanks for your thoughts,
Jon

PS. I did use some of the 35 cal checks today in some 357 Mag boolits I sized/lubed then loaded this morning. I noticed better accuracy from the pop can checked SWC boolits compared to a similar but different Keith type Plain Base boolit. In several 6 shot groups, I'd get one or two fliers in each group from the keith type and NO fliers from the Pop can checked SWC.

PatMarlin
11-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Jon- that .014 Amerimax aluminum cuts disks easier than the (group buy) .010 1/2 hard copper. It's really great stuff for making checks,.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Did I say 44PB...I think I meant 41PB.
either way, let me know when you are set to make either
thanks again pat !
Jon

Ben
11-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Pat :

.014 Amerimax aluminum cuts disks easier than the (group buy) .010 1/2 hard copper. It's really great stuff for making checks

I've tried both and you're right, the .014 " thickness Ameri-max AL is certainly hard to beat for use in g/c's.

30CAL-TEXAN
11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Pat,

The Reloader Press is small, cheap and I was able to mount it on a portable stand that is why it was chosen.

The Classic Cast is certainly on my Christmas list. I just recently bought a house and there is a small workshop out back that is just sreaming for me to turn it into my reloading room. As soon as I get the floor done and the bench put in there it will be next on the list.:D

PatMarlin
11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I know things are tight. First press I bought was the LEE "O" frame. Good old LEE- those prices got me into reloading.

Good thing is when you do upgrade, they make a handy field press, and a good powder measure stand. Always a use.