PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Pro-jector priming system

roots911
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I recently acquired a Hornady projector that is missing the primer tube housing and related tubes. The other parts are intact. I have done a search and found a wealth of information, most of which originated on this site. I have read how finicky the primer system is and looked at the pictures of various mods. I would like to try to reactivate the primer system on the press. I can possibly turn a primer tube housing on a lathe but I need help on the system to drop one primer at a time into the primer cup. Anybody done a mod that works and is willing to share pictures/drawings? If anyone has the original parts that they don't want I would buy them to use as a good starting point. Any help/info would be appreciated. I was thinking of possibly trying a system of a spring and ball mounted in the aluminum body block - similar to my RCBS bench priming tool. Thanks!

ReloaderFred
11-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I would suggest calling Hornady and telling them you need the parts. They have been most helpful whenever I've called them. The girl on the answering machine is worth the call, since it's great to see a company with a sense of humor.

Hope this helps.

Fred

noylj
11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
It wasn't hard to align. There was a bolt that had some play so you could fine-tune the primer cup under the primer tube. You would look down the empty primer tube and, with the bolt tight enough to have a friction hold, you would tighten the blot while maintaining the alignment. The primer tube shield had a brass "spring" that the primer cup pushed aside to pick up a primer and it would follow the primer cut to hold back the primers from falling out of the primer tube. The nice thing about this system, besides the fact that it worked quite well, was that you could observe the primer being picked up and you could stop if it didn't and fix it right then. You didn't discover the lack of primer as the powder trickles out the bottom of the case and under the shellplate
Also, you used the primer tube as the primer pick-up tube. You would insert the primer tube into the shield tube. When you turned the assembly right side around, the brass "spring" would hold the primers from falling out and you inserted the assembly into the post.
Again, I liked the system because everything was visible and there were just a couple of things to get out of alignment.

roots911
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys, Tried the Hornady route but primer system parts are obsolete/discontinued. Thats why I'm looking for unwanted parts or ideas. Thanks, Frank

roots911
11-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Well I found some of the parts but the primer tube housing is not forthcoming. Would anyone be kind enough to measure their housing and give me the dimensions so that I could have one made on a lathe? I know that it will be a PIA to get all the dimensions but I would really appreciate the help. Thanks, Frank

300winmag
11-09-2010, 02:19 PM
the actual tub itself is 13 1/2 in long OD. 0.6280 full length, ID.0.533.0 full length,
the bottom end witch goes into the tube block has a 3/4 in. sleeve inserted 5/16 in.
sleeve 3/4in. long OD. 0.4980 ID.0.3125
the end of the primer tube inserts into that sleeve

roots911
11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks! I really appreciate the info. Frank

Thanks to all - I now have everything that I need.

Frank