PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 Die Question

ron brooks
10-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Two questions on 45-70 dies.

,First , does someone make one with a carbide sizer? I don't think so, too much taper to the case, but thought I would ask.

Second, for a Marlin 1895, I would think I would want a roll crimp? I understand that for cast bullets in rifles a taper crimp is prefered, is that only for bottleneck cartridges?

Thanks,

Ron

SharpsShooter
10-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Two questions on 45-70 dies.

,First , does someone make one with a carbide sizer? I don't think so, too much taper to the case, but thought I would ask.

Second, for a Marlin 1895, I would think I would want a roll crimp? I understand that for cast bullets in rifles a taper crimp is prefered, is that only for bottleneck cartridges?

Thanks,

Ron

Carbide sure would be nice, but no I don't believe anyone makes one in that material. Taper crimp is a desirable in single shots, but I like firm roll crimp in my 1895 fodder. I am not sure you could get a tight enough taper crimp to prevent bullet setback due to recoil and magazine tube pressures combined. It would seem that if you applied a taper crimp tight enough to prevent this sort of movement, it would also size the bullet down..........not a good idea there.

SS

C A Plater
10-01-2006, 05:49 PM
First -- No, the case is too tapered for that to work.

Second -- Yes roll crimp the .45-70. The primary purose is to keep the bullets from being pushed back into the case in the magazine during recoil. I've heard it said that it improves accuracy by providing more consistent ignition.

ron brooks
10-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks, On the carbide die, that is what I thought. I figured the roll crimp due to the tube magazine, just wanted to touble check.

Thanks again.

Ron

chunkum
10-02-2006, 09:32 AM
If you're going to get a special crimping die for your .45-70, a Lee Factory Crimp Die is about as good as it gets for this purpose. And it can be adjusted according to the requirements of your rifle and your shooting purposes.
c.

lmcollins
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I have a 1895 GS and think that the Lee Factory Crimp die is the best thing to hit the lever gun scene yet. The Lee Factory Crimp die is a collet die and will always work even as your cases get longer to the point of needing triming. If you set your seatiing die to seat and roll crimp at the same time the roll crimp changes and the die needs to be set up as your cases get longer after each fireing. The collet works off of hitting the shell holderand crimpps the same even as the case gets longer. Tis saves die adjustment and or trimming as frequently to keep the crimp uniform from reloading to reloading.