PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Supplies

Ken77539
11-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Was down at my local home center yesterday and decided to make a pass through the plumbing aisle to look for potential (quick source) casting supplies. A couple of things caught my eye, but I need further, more experienced input before laying down the plastic. If anyone has used either of these items, or could share some insight, I would definately appreciate it.

First item was paste flux. They had a container of paste flux, comparably sized and priced with the Frankford Arsenal stuff. I have the FA flux, but was curious if the paste flux could be used as a viable alternative. I'm a bit concerned about the liquid used in the paste making the lead splatter voilently.

Second item was a pound spool of 'lead-free' solder. This IMO was a bit pricey at $13/lb, but it sparked my curiosity - if not lead, what is it, and can it be used for making / alloying boolits?

Muddy Creek Sam
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Ken,

The Solder is good but pricey, I don't think you want the paste flux. Try Paraffin Wax for fluxing, it is cheap and easy.

Sam :D

44fanatic
11-05-2010, 10:41 AM
The soldering flux will cause the tin and other materials in you lead to "solder" to your casting and smelting tools.

I have a Lee ladle and 4lb pot that are a mess from my first and only "fluxing" with soldering flux...

runfiverun
11-05-2010, 10:43 AM
the flux first.
forget it.
a good flux is carbon based, wood chps broken down,saw dust.
i have used coal dust and it works okay as a heat barrier when bottom pouring and it does flux okay after it breaks down.
my preference is some saw dust and a bit of scented candle lit on fire.
i use the marvelux also but it does like to suck up moisture and you need to be aware of that.

the lead free solder is usually tin with a bit of antimony@5% and usually some copper <1%
it's good but pricey.
you can usually pick up other sources at a better price.
graingers has sales occasionally and the swappin and sellin area has some occasionally.
and pewter or babbit from garage sales or thrift shops comes up once in a while too.

D Crockett
11-05-2010, 11:13 AM
the best place to get flux and solder is at yard sales last summer I picked up around 50 lbs of candles I don't have over $20 in them I also picked up 18 lbs of solder and I don't have $5 in it at one yard sale I picked up 8 full roles of solder for $2 if you look you will find it D Crockett

markinalpine
11-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Every roll of lead free solder I've seen has the assay listed on the lable, usually 95% Tin (or Sn) and 5% Antimony (or Sb). Copper, if present, might be listed as it Atomic Symbol Cu.
Prices have gone up, so $13/Lb might not be too bad.
Mark :coffeecom

mroliver77
11-05-2010, 02:16 PM
One thing I think is worth knowing is that when we flux our melt it is not really fluxing like in soldering or welding. "Fluxing" is not what we are doing. It is more like reducing or something similar. I like using wood shavings or saw dust especially if the wood has a lot of oils in it. For some stubborn alloys I use wax and/or saw dust. For really bad alloy I bring it just above melting point and flood it with melted wax until the surface is completely covered with 1/16" of liquid and then stir it in as vigorously as I can. I have saved some yucky alloy like this. My three cents worth.
Jay

Ken77539
11-05-2010, 11:44 PM
One thing I think is worth knowing is that when we flux our melt it is not really fluxing like in soldering or welding. . . .

That's what had me kind of confused (hence my question). Been using Wally-World and dime store candle wax for fluxing during my initial smelting, then I use the FA flux for smaller quantities prior to casting. I'm still pretty new at this game, so I'm still trying to understand much of the mechanics behind the activities of casting. I understand fluxing helps to remove impurities and other undesirables, but I'm still not sure just how the fluxing actually works.

Echo
11-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Ken77539, when we flux, the carbon in the flux causes the lead and tin oxides to go back to elemental states, giving off CO2 (I think) in the process. The carbon attracts to oxygen in the oxides freeing the Pb & Sn.

And I caught many croakers, piggies, and sand trout @ San Leon.

Ken77539
11-06-2010, 10:44 AM
. . .And I caught many croakers, piggies, and sand trout @ San Leon.

Tucson - that's a long way to go for fish! Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Y'know, on the other board I frequent, I call San Leon the 'Land of the Beer Joints, Bait Camps and Baptist Churches" - well the locals have now one-upped me - we are now known as 'A little drinking town with a fishing problem'. (Just a little local trivia to start off the day!)
:drinks:

Have a good one and a cold one; and thanks also for the 411 on the fluxing.

Ken