PDA

View Full Version : Free float barrel or?

preparehandbook
11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a 1943 mosin nagant 91/30, matching numbers, pristine bore, hideous stock. A real tack driver, shooting about 2 moa. It's my everything-bigger-than-squirrel-rifle, mostly used for hogs.

In going over the rifle I found a tight spot with some upward pressure on the forend, I smoothed this out and now the barrel pretty much floats, but as the stock is not the stiffest and the barrel is tent-pole-long the stock kinda klacks against the barrel when handled. So here's what I'm thinking...

- I can bed just the tip of the stock

- I can bed the whole barrel end to end

- I can bob the stock way back and bed it

I really could care chicken-lips about collector's value or keeping it original and since I won't sell it no one else will ever care. I'm also leary about spending any money so a new stock is out. It is a rather thin barrel so I feel that the full length top/bottom stock offers some protection, plus I kinda thought about later mounting a bipod.

What would you do?

Dan Cash
11-04-2010, 11:09 PM
If it was driving tacks, I would have gotten all my wife's tacky work done and left the gun as it was. Does it still shoot? If so leave it alone.

preparehandbook
11-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Point of aim moves with longer strings as stock/barrel pressure varies as it heats up.

Not a problem hunting, but it causes problems with target shooting, especially if I'm shooting a lot at further ranges.

JRMTactical
11-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Depending upon how much room you have on the stock, you can Acraglass a steel or aluminum strip in there to stiffen it up a bit. But, the longer the strip, obviously the more flex you're gonna have. It'll be stiffer that the wood alone, it's an idea for you, and you can do it at home.
Regards!

preparehandbook
11-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Wow,

I like the metal strip idea. I have some small square stock that's perfect, I'd just have to cut a channel, no biggy there.

JRMTactical
11-06-2010, 11:43 PM
always glad to lend any help I can! That square stock is perfect, because if you have a router attachment for a Dremel you can do it really easy! Let us know how it works if you decide to try it!

preparehandbook
11-07-2010, 01:13 AM
I think I'm gonna graind a beveled edge on a short section of the square stock and use it as a gouge. this'll make it a nice tight slot.

I had great luck hogging out the forend by grinding two sides of a 3/4" pipe nippple flat and using the threads as a gouge.

I'll take some pics as I go.