PDA

View Full Version : Longer term storage of cast/lubed bullets

FISH4BUGS
10-01-2006, 01:48 PM
I am thinking about setting up for a LONG run of cast/sized/lubed bullets. I will mostly use my H&G 10 cavity 9mm and 380 bullet moulds to cast, but others (4 cavity H&G''s and few 4 cavity Lymans) are available. I will use a heated Star sizer. The lube is the Magma hard lube. I load on a Dillon 550.
My thought is this: if I cast some 10,000 9mm or 380's (Lyman #2 formula), then size and lube them, and store them in coffee cans ( I accumulated some 30 LARGE cans with lids and 20 smaller cans with lids - almost as good as finding a bucket of wheel weights) with the plastic lids that come with the coffee, how long do you think the bullets would last? I am concerned with lube drying out and cracking over time more than anything else. I can keep them, once sized and lubed, in a relatively stable environment with heat around 70 most of the time and humidity low (my storage closet in my condo).
I hate the setup time to cast/size/lube so if I do a long run, it would certainly cut down on setup. In fact, it would eliminate it for one heck of a lot of bullets. I also shoot 380 and 9mm cast bullets in my submachine guns so I think I would go through at least 10,000 in a year or two for each caliber. The 358156 would last a bit longer but my girlfriend and I can still go through a bunch (3-400 or so) of 38's on a Sunday afternoon. She is pretty good with her 3" 36 S&W and has learned to enjoy blasting.
Any experience with this?

Junior1942
10-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I opened a coffee can of 30 caliber 115 gr or so cast and lubed bullets which were around 15 to 20 years in the can here in high humidity north Louisiana. The lube, NRA 50/50, was dry and useless.

MT Gianni
10-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I have had good to fair luck of storing lubed bullets with FWFL for 10 years or so and Ly super Moly for a little longer with sealing in a zip-lock bag along with a folded piece of paper with the inside stating alloy, air cooled or water dropped. These then go into a 30 cal ammo can or coffee can. Lee Liquid alox seems to last a long time but the best answer is to lube then load. Gianni.

jhalcott
10-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I've got coffee cans of bullets that were cast when I was into "SILLYWETS" that are still good.They are NOT lubed till I'm ready to load them.I figure some one will come up with a MIRACLE lube after I lube them so I just keep 'em plain till needed.

Wayne Smith
10-01-2006, 04:55 PM
If you make your own lube add a touch of lanolin to it. It should then stand some time without problem.

44man
10-01-2006, 05:13 PM
The lube is the key. The best lubes never dry out even if kept in the open for years. If you don't trust your lube, spray the boolits in the can with an anti corrosion spray like Sheath and forget about them. Lube later.

dragonrider
10-01-2006, 06:05 PM
If you could vacuum seal the containers you use, then I think the lube would last as long as you need it to. Such as using one of those foodsaver units

Shepherd2
10-01-2006, 07:48 PM
I loaded some bullets last week that were sized and lubed several years ago using Lyman's Orange Magic. The lube didn't seem any different than that on bullets I might have done today. Most of my shooting is handguns and I cast large quantities of bullets and then size and lube them so they are ready when I have time to reload. I store mine in those clear plastic food storage containers. The Lyman OM will hold up for several years in my experience. Probably a lot longer. For the past year or so I've been using LAR 45's Carnuba Red and I don't think it will deteriorate very fast either.

454PB
10-01-2006, 10:14 PM
My stored lubed boolits are all placed base down and tightly packed, usually in cigar or check boxes. I do a full layer, then a layer of cardboard....another layer, etc. I recently inspected some that are about 20 years old, and they were fine. Heat is what ruins boolit lube.