PDA

View Full Version : oops, range lead left in the rain

corey012778
11-04-2010, 07:03 PM
rained all day today, I forgot I had just a little 2 or 3lbs of range lead in an small bucket. it is half full in of water.

quick cleaning?

hoosierlogger
11-04-2010, 07:39 PM
put it in a cold pot and slowly put on the heat. Stand back during this procedure.

Muddy Creek Sam
11-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Use a lid if you have one.

Sam :D

RP
11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
A good heavy lid with maybe a hot to let the steam out they need to get good and hot bullets and jackets will hold pockets for moisture for a long long time.

fryboy
11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
even with a cold pot i'm more than a little leery of the tinsel fairy , i'd dump the bucket and let it sit somewhere dry for a bit , i suppose one could add soap and agitate ;)

corey012778
11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
i normally start my range lead in an cold pan, in very small batches, pouring ingots, start over

sqlbullet
11-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Two or three pounds?

Drain, dump on a towel, then put it in a cold pan, turn on the heat and go inside for 10 minutes. When you come back, the water will be long gone.

corey012778
11-04-2010, 08:52 PM
even with a cold pot i'm more than a little leery of the tinsel fairy , i'd dump the bucket and let it sit somewhere dry for a bit , i suppose one could add soap and agitate ;)
thought about that too, normally just leave the dirt in it

sqlbullet Two or three pounds?
the range I goto stays busy all the time, hard to mine. that is just what I pick up off the ground. wish I could mine it, who knows how much I could get out of it.

before I do anything I need propane,

fryboy
11-05-2010, 09:33 AM
i too leave the dirt in it , the soap and agitate part was in humor lolz but since u said out of propane that'll give them time to dry a bit !

sqlbullet
11-05-2010, 11:06 AM
the range I goto stays busy all the time, hard to mine. that is just what I pick up off the ground. wish I could mine it, who knows how much I could get out of it.

Not questioning the value of the amount. I have refined small batches before too. Sorry if that seemed critical or belittling.

Just saying that for a small amount I would not be worried about the tinsel fairy. If you have 50-60 pounds, then I might worry the lead at the bottom might melt, and then a bullet from the top shift/fall into the melt and give a steam explosiong.

With only 2-3 lbs, that really isn't a worry. Start with a cold pot and any moisture will cook off before you have a melt.

corey012778
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Not questioning the value of the amount. I have refined small batches before too. Sorry if that seemed critical or belittling.

Just saying that for a small amount I would not be worried about the tinsel fairy. If you have 50-60 pounds, then I might worry the lead at the bottom might melt, and then a bullet from the top shift/fall into the melt and give a steam explosiong.

With only 2-3 lbs, that really isn't a worry. Start with a cold pot and any moisture will cook off before you have a melt.

no problem