PDA

View Full Version : Merit optical gadget?

DanM
11-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this question, but here goes. Does the Merit gadget help with peep sights? I have read many good reviews, but not sure how it does with peeps. What do you think?

rhbrink
11-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Which gadet are you asking about? I use one that sticks on my glasses and it does help clear up the front sight. To me it works better for the open sights a little easier to get lined up maybe than the peeps.

vernm
11-04-2010, 07:10 PM
I am not an expert in optcal formulas or principles. But the Merit gadget is used primarily by pistol shooters over forty years of age. An aperture (peep) extends your field of view and brings the front sight into focus when your eyes are too old to do it themsevles. As your vision gets worse you may need the help of a special prescription in glasses or a lens in the rear aperture of a rifle sight.

I don't know if you could even use a Merit with an aperture rear sight. If you could, I'm not sure two apertures would be of any benetit.

BD
11-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a merit that I stick on my glasses for handgun shooting for groups on occasion. I've tried it on on a few rifles, it doesn't do anything for me on a peep that the peep isn't already doing. On V & bead sights it will really clear up the front sight, but if I can't see it at 300 yards, I still can't see it with the merit.

leadhead
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I love the merit. I've used one for years and could honestly not shoot
without it. I used it to shoot handgun silhoette for 22 years and now
use it to shoot all my military rifles, open and peeps. works for me.
Denny

Pepe Ray
11-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Talk about confusion!!
As one poster said, "It makes a difference as to WHICH gadget your talking about.
I can't believe that Oh heck.

Aside from the "gadget" that Merit makes that attach es to the lens of your shooting glasses which creates a "PEEP" sight for your revolver/pistol, the company makes the same adjustable aperture for installing into the threads of your Williams or Lyman or Redfield or WHATEVER receiver sight. Some tang sights will also accept them.

I'll quit now before I say something I shouldn't.
Pepe Ray

Doc Highwall
11-04-2010, 09:28 PM
What kind of rear peep sight are you asking about. I just purchased a Bob Jones lens system for my AR with a +.25 diopter lens and it cleared up the front sight on the AR with out blurring the target.

flounderman
11-04-2010, 09:48 PM
I used a merit 50 years ago that was made to replace the factory apperture in a lyman or redfield. this one had an adjustable aperture. you adjusted it until you had the clearest sight picture. I used an amber front aperture with it, with the large redfield front sight. I also had another aperture that had a revolving disk with different size apertures. for target work, I like the front and rear aperture set up. you just align the circles inside each other and center the bull in the hole in the middle.

rhbrink
11-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Doc Highway I like the look of the Bob Jones lens system do you have a link for that?

DanM
11-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I do remember now that Merit offers an adjustable aperature peep that mounts on the rear sight of your rifle. Had forgotten about that.
The gadget I am talking about has the stick on suction cup that mounts on your glasses. I would be using it for handguns and rifles if possible. Have heard it is geat for open, blade and notch type sights. Was wondering if it helps with peep sights, like a No4Mk2 Enfield or similar?

Doc Highwall
11-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Here is the link for Bob Jones sights
http://www.bjonessights.com/AR15.html