PDA

View Full Version : Recluse lube as a rust preventative

Centaur 1
11-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I was cooking down some Recluse lube today and when I was done my pot and the spoon where coated with a nice waxy coating. I reminded me of a spray that we used to buy from CRC, that was designed as a long term rust preventative on machined parts. I'm going to start experimenting with it, I have some high dollar machinist tools that sit out in the garage in the Florida humidity.

fryboy
11-04-2010, 08:01 PM
of the two main ingredients , they say alox was originally design ( or used ) as a rust preventative , wax also helps protect surfaces , the mineral spirits would have no use other than to thin it down ... not sure how thick of a coat you'd need but the JPW coat is usually thin ( even tho i have been known to apply more than one coat to something )

frankenfab
11-04-2010, 08:15 PM
That CRC stuff is good. One of the better spray on Cosmolenes. Maybe we could lube boolits with it?:redneck: I never have looked at the ingredients.

Centaur 1
11-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I looked up the CRC SP-400 msds. I didn't know what the ingredients were and a google search took me right back to cast boolits. I was thinking about using recluse to protect metal, and someone else was looking to use sp-400 as a boolit lube. Here's the thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95537

The product description sounds like it would make a good lube.

"Firm, waxy film is highly resistant to humidity and salt spray and never becomes brittle
Long term protection (up to 2 years outdoors) for all metals during shipment or extended storage
Waxy film seals out moisture completely"

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=63316

DragoonDrake
11-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Ok I am going to ask, what is recluse lube? I mean really I thought shooting was a social thing.

fryboy
11-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Ok I am going to ask, what is recluse lube? I mean really I thought shooting was a social thing.

this would explain it perhaps best ?

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

HORNET
11-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Did you look at what that CRC stuff costs? $12 for a 16 oz. can containing 10 fl. oz.? Out of my price range unless I could 'liberate' some.

Calamity Jake
11-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Did you look at what that CRC stuff costs? $12 for a 16 oz. can containing 10 fl. oz.? Out of my price range unless I could 'liberate' some.

LPS-3 is basicaly the same thing and is about $8 a 16oz can.
Or you can but it by the gallon and use a trigger spray bottle.

Shooter6br
11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I did a test (informal) using differant rust preventors. I used a polished steel lawn edger blade. i found that Ed's Red ( without lanolin) is a good rust preventor ( month or so) Plain old "Vasoline" is great for long term storage.....Fun to do your own tests!

Moonie
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
With lanolin should be even better shouldn't it?

Centaur 1
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
SP-400 and LPS3 are similar but SP-400 is much thicker. Shooter6br, those tests you did were short term, if you coated the blade with sp-400 it would protect it for over 20 years, the stuff is awesome.

runfiverun
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM
with anhydrous lanolin yes.

alox is a rust preventative and it's related to cosmoline and vaseline, mineral oil, parrafin and the more refined micro [called so because the holes in the wax are smaller] .
basically it's oxidized [burnt] vaseline.
it has been used as undercoating mixed with some other stuff too.

geargnasher
11-05-2010, 03:35 PM
IIRC liquid Alox was formulated as a cheap, bulk, spray-on rust inhibitor for offshore oil equipment, if that isn't an endorsement for it's rust prevention capabilities I don't know what is.

Gear

Centaur 1
11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Probably the best use that I ever found for SP-400 was to keep battery terminals from corroding. Since I'm out of it I'm going to be using Recluse lube from now on.

fryboy
11-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Probably the best use that I ever found for SP-400 was to keep battery terminals from corroding. Since I'm out of it I'm going to be using Recluse lube from now on.

best use ever for coca cola ? eating the corrosion off of battery terminals ( doesnt hurt to flush with water afterwards ) best tip for keeping corrosion away ? one measly drop of oil , granpaw used to have the patience to let that one drop fall from his dipstick when he checked his oil ( waste not want not he'd say and that drop of oil that would be on a rag just got a new lease on life ) one can over do that drop tho as it doesnt take much , i'm guessing that oil is the main ingredient of the felt battery washers and why they work , my thought is that anything that stops the air stops the corrosion and a very thin layer of oil will do that [shrugz]

geargnasher
11-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Those useless "corrosion stopper" rings are treated with baking soda, and once it's neutralized by the acid or acid fumes, they actually trap the acid against the terminals causing worse corrosion than before.

Anything you can do to keep the sulfuric fumes off the lead/copper will prevent corrosion. I like to use silicone grease but anything like that will work.

Gear

Recluse
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Those useless "corrosion stopper" rings are treated with baking soda, and once it's neutralized by the acid or acid fumes, they actually trap the acid against the terminals causing worse corrosion than before.

Anything you can do to keep the sulfuric fumes off the lead/copper will prevent corrosion. I like to use silicone grease but anything like that will work.

Gear

Plus one for those silly-A "corrosion stopper rings." All they've ever done for me is GUARANTEE more corrosion and battery/cable problems than I could imagine possible.

A small dab of silicone grease is the best thing I've found yet.

Haven't tried my lube on them, though. . .

:coffee:

alamogunr
11-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I've got a big bucket of Alox 606-55("mother of LLA"). I'll wipe some on the battery terminals. Can't hurt and may eliminate scrubbing the corrosion products off with baking soda and a brush.

Thanks for the tip.

John
W.TN