PDA

View Full Version : Glenfield 30GT and TLC311-165-RF

Ranch Dog
11-04-2010, 04:37 PM
My dad has been shooting a M94 all his life. In fact, in his lifetime he has only owned two. His latest rifle, purchased new in '68 for $25 has served him well but his eyes have not been doing as well with the B-Square side-mount scope that was added to help with aging eyes against the open sights. He will never shoot anything other than a 30-30 and I've tried to talk him into a Marlin but he has always felt them too heavy.

Early this year, I ran into a Glenfield 30GT and thought he might like this little Texan. He did and I told him I would get it set up for him. One thing led to another and hunting season opens Saturday. I decided I'd better get out to the range and sight in the bore sighted Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 I'd mounted on it right after I bought it. I used some ammo I had put together for my daughter's 336BL. A near max load of BL-C(2), 36.0-grains. I walked out to the range, put some "spots" on the holes my youth hunters had put in a 50-yard target this weekend and shot the first shot. Not bad, 2" right of where I needed it so an adjustment was made and the next two were touching each other. My dad wandered out to see if I was finally working on his rifle and gave it more of the same!

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/Firearms/30GT/Images/1st3_01.jpg http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/Firearms/30GT/Images/1st3_02.jpg

I really needed easy as I've got a lot to do in the next day. The load ended up chrony'ng at 2170 FPS.

6pt-sika
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Very nice !

And best of luck on saturday !

izzyjoe
11-05-2010, 10:18 PM
i like that rifle, i ain't ever seen one like that. that scope is nice too, not to big looks just right. and good luck huntin'.

Ranch Dog
11-06-2010, 08:48 PM
The 30GT was the Glenfield version of the Marlin 336T (1980 - 1988). Same metal but a birch stock instead of the walnut.

The scope is the little Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32. I consider it the perfect scope for a Marlin, I've got 27 of them :holysheep

Steelbanger
11-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Nice. My deer hunting is over until the week after Thanksgiving, which is when our regular season starts.

So what's going to happen to Dad's Winchester? Retirement? I bet he'll love the Glenfield and I wish him success with it.

Oh, and good luck to you too Michael.

gon2shoot
11-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Good shootin from a Western Auto gun Michale.
Dang, remember when it was acceptable to be a shooter?

Ranch Dog
11-06-2010, 10:15 PM
So what's going to happen to Dad's Winchester? Retirement? I bet he'll love the Glenfield and I wish him success with it.

Oh, and good luck to you too Michael.

Nothing on the ground today, but what a fine day! As we were walking out of the woods my Dad said, "you know you are not getting this rifle back". I let him know I bought it for him. My dad is very practical, he only needs one rifle, and state so. He thought he ought to sell his M94 but I talked him into keeping it. He also said he wished he could remember when he bought it but I knew the answer, 1968. He was quite for a bit and then said, "42 years, that's a long time". I replied, "it's a lifetime for some Dad". Pretty cool day.

Dang, remember when it was acceptable to be a shooter?

Yeap, I remember when it was perfectly okay for a young boy to ride his bicycle a mile, go into the Western Auto, and stare at the guns for 20 minutes without saying a word. We won't let kids do any of that any more.

beefan
11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for posting this experience. Glad he's keeping the 94. Do you have a picture of it?
Best to you both.

Ranch Dog
11-14-2010, 09:10 PM
We are still getting after it. We have passed up a few nice buck but still at it.

Ranch Dog
11-20-2010, 02:16 PM
My dad shot a deer with "his" 30GT this morning. We had this 5 1/2 year old 8-pt out checking his scrape line so my dad shot him with my TLC311-165-RF. 40-yard shot through the heart and the buck ran 20-yards up his scrape line! I'm real proud of dad, 80 years young and still getting with it!

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Hunting/2010/Dads_buck.jpg

jtaylor1960
11-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Those majic silver Ranch Dog bullets work every time.

Ranch Dog
11-25-2010, 12:45 AM
The deer ended up being 6 1/2 years old....

Bullshop
11-25-2010, 02:55 AM
I love it! You are a blessed man!
BTW what is that green stuff in the background, mold?

kelbro
11-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Great!

shootingbuff
11-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Great looking rifle and a fantastic outing with your pa. Have you asked him if he wanted to get rid of the rifle because it was to heavy after taking that nice 8 point? ;=)

shootingbuff
11-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Just placed my order for the TLC311-165-RF. You just can not get better advertising then RDs description and picture oh his and his dads hunt!:drinks::Fire:

Ranch Dog
11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Great looking rifle and a fantastic outing with your pa. Have you asked him if he wanted to get rid of the rifle because it was to heavy after taking that nice 8 point? ;=)

Shipped your mold out today. I didn't have to ask him about the Glenfield. He simply told me he wasn't gonna give it back. He said I could have his M94 but I told him I have plenty of fence posts stacked so I don't need anymore:popcorn:

izzyjoe
11-30-2010, 12:15 AM
that's a nice buck, and glad to see you'r dad's still goin' strong. my dad is 58 and i can't force him go with me huntin'. i guess i'll break down and buy that mold. but it'll have to wait till after christmas though.

shootingbuff
12-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Shipped your mold out today. I didn't have to ask him about the Glenfield. He simply told me he wasn't gonna give it back. He said I could have his M94 but I told him I have plenty of fence posts stacked so I don't need anymore:popcorn:

Liked the response to your dad.

Received the mold and then saw a deal on Glenfield.30A. I was thinking of making it into a trapper and a 35 30-30. This is like NIB - really. Think I will have to look for a different beater to work on because this one unless it just doesn't shoot is staying as is.

I am in the hopes my Stevens and the 30A will shoot near as well as your dad's 30GT.

Best to you and your dad.

Ranch Dog
12-04-2010, 09:14 PM
The 35-30 is a cartridge I've always wanted in a levergun. Might try see if my dad would mind his Win 94 becoming one.

Ranch Dog
12-04-2010, 09:20 PM
that's a nice buck, and glad to see you'r dad's still goin' strong. my dad is 58 and i can't force him go with me huntin'. i guess i'll break down and buy that mold. but it'll have to wait till after christmas though.

I really hate hearing that izzy for both of your sake. I'm 56 but in pretty good health so I hope to follow my dad's lead. Five years ago, when my dad was 75, I stopped him from hunting from our 15' tripod stands. Getting on one is always a balancing act and this year I asked him to stop hunting the tower blinds. He's happy with the ground blinds as they are quite comfortable. My dad did take a terrible fall when he was 70, broke his hip. He fell out of the top of a tree he was trimming. He fell about 20' into very sandy soil. Laid there 3 hours until someone noticed he was missing!

felix
12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Go for it, Michael! 35-30 would be fun when tuned for 180 grainers and lighter (assumes heavier duty 35s are in the closet). But, the downside is that the lowly 357 max can do the same with a lot less powder. ... felix

jmsj
12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Ranch Dog,
Your dad and mine sound like a pair. He is 78, we hunted pheasants in KS. in Nov. Later in Nov. he and my brother headed up to WY. to hunt whitetails. Next week he is heading up here to northeast NM. to hunt cow elk w/ me and the kids.
Congratulations to you and your dad on a great hunt. jmsj

JDL
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Give your dad a big congratulations for me!!
Your post on riding a bicycle to Western Auito looking at guns brings back very fond memories. I bought my very first gun, a model 25 Winchester 12 ga., from a Western Auto in 1960. I was 13 years old and working at a movie theater making $7.11 a week, plus all the coke and popcorn I wanted! I can't remember the exact amount but, the manager let me pay a down payment, pay the rest out monthly and let me take the gun home to boot! Talk about living in another age! Of course it probably didn't hurt that we were next door neighbors ;-).
JDL