PDA

View Full Version : A reloading article

Beekeeper
11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I read an article by Kenny Durham on reloading the BP cartridge that I gained more info from than all of the books I bought.
It was down to earth, and covered all aspects of the process.
It was in a copy of the Shoot Magazine that doesn't exist any more and the only one I have found costs $175.00 for the copy.
I am wondering if anyone here has the magazine and would copy the article for me.
Will gladly pay for the article and shipping if you do.

Jim

StrawHat
11-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Is this it?

http://www.shootmagazine.com/getting_started/blackpowder.htm

longranger
11-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Beekeeper,
I have that magazine in my bathroom,bought it in Diamond Springs CA about 10 years ago for $25.00 I shouted at that price,but the info has led me to things I would have never thought of.I will attempt to make copies, when I get satisfactory copies made I will P.M. you and get an address to send them to you.I found the exact artricle you are refering to.
Straw Hat, he is looking for a specific article in the magazine written by Kenny Durham titled "Loading Black Powder Cartridges"For Single Shot Rifles. It was a special edition titled "Black Powder and The Old West". It is not available in their back issues.

Doc Highwall
11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
longranger, that sounds like a good article, I would be interested in a copy PM me for details I am willing to pay for it. Thank You!

longranger
11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Doc,

Got your p.m and it will be in tomorrows mail

longranger
11-06-2010, 08:45 AM
It has been suggested that I try and scan the article and post it here.Going to give that a try today.I hope theres no copyright infringement.

John Boy
11-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Beekeeper, have you read this article?
Introduction to Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Loading
By Chuck Raithel (http://www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/Intro_to_BPCR_Loading.pdf)
If not, you might want to!

saz
11-06-2010, 11:52 AM
john boy, have read that article and it was a very good read. i would also be interested in this article.

SharpsShooter
11-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Likewise interested here.

SS

mold maker
11-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Having that info available here would truly be appreciated.
An 1884 Springfield TD followed me home, and I need all the advice I can get, to make sure it gets a proper diet.

longranger
11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
OK no luck in scanning,software issues, if those of you I have not contacted wishing a copy I will make copies and send them to you.You need to send a S.A.S.E.(Self Addressed Stamped Envelope)to me. P.M. me I will give you my address.
Randy

Doc Highwall
11-06-2010, 03:26 PM
mold maker, this is the book that everyone who loads for a trapdoor should have.

Larry Gibson
11-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Mold maker

+1 on Doc's advise for Wolf's book on replicating the original 45-70 loads. It helped me many years ago with loading for my 1st TD. I modify his technique for target loads but the basics and more are all in Wolf's book.

The target is an atypical 10 shot group at 200 yards from my target m1873 (M1884 barreled action) using Wolf's info plus adding a couple cast bullet loading techniques for better accuracy.

Another manual that may be of some use is a reprint of the original 1879 manual for the M8173 TD. The information on shooting the TD is excellent and it is surprising how some things haven't changed. The M1884 sight useage is in Wolf's book but the rest of Laidley's manual is also very useful. it is available at www.cornellpubs.com.

Larry Gibson

Beekeeper
11-06-2010, 05:36 PM
DocHighwall,
The article longranger is sending is an article that will give even a complete novice like me enough confidence to take the final step and is good info for any BP gun.

This is to no means belittle the help I have received from you, Buckshot and all the others helping me to get there.I do not think I would have taken the first step with out the help I have received here.
I am 74 years old and have been a smokeless shooter since I was taught how by my Grandfather.
at age 16
At my age wrapping my brain around something entirely different sometimes takes some doing.
The article does that.
It breakes it down to basics and makes you feel comfortable with what you are doing and gives a ready reference.

All of the books I have read (and that is a lot of them) assumes you already have a certain knowledge of BP and doesn't go into the basic , basics.

Jim

John Boy
11-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Here's the link on Shoot Magazine to order the article from the Dec 99/00 issue ...
http://www.shootmagazine.com/range/dec.htm

Best to call because the online link only wants one to buy the Merchantile domain!

RMulhern
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Don't worry! In 15 years or so.....you'll be close to learning how it all works!!

Kenny Wasserburger
11-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Larry thanks for Posting that about the Cornell book.

KW
The Lunger

PS Kenny Durham's article is Excellent and Kenny is a National Ranked shooter. He has been in the Top Ten at Raton Silhouette on more then one occasion.

Doc Highwall
11-09-2010, 10:19 PM
longranger, I want to Thank You! I received the article today and will be reading it asap.

longranger
11-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Doc Highwall,
You are quite welcome,glad to be of service.

Beekeeper
11-12-2010, 11:13 PM
DocHighwall,
How did you find the article?
worth the read?
I got my copy today and it helped reinforce what I had read(learned) when I read it the first time.

How about a review?

Jim

Doc Highwall
11-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Beekeeper, reading the article will be this weekends project as I had my hearing with the EEOC this week and I have still more work to do.

cajun shooter
11-17-2010, 10:40 AM
John Boy, How did you talk to any one about the magazine? They have been out of business for over two years and I tried over 18 months ago to no avail. I wanted some back issues. Let me know if you have a way to contact these folks. Later David

saz
11-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Good Article! Thank you very much!

Beekeeper
11-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Saz,
Did the article help you understand BP loading or do you already load BP?
It has helped me to understand the basics that all BP loaders assume you already know and tend to skip over when talking BP loading.
It gave me enough info to help me load my first BP rounds and if the rain lets up will try them out on Monday.

Jim

Doc Highwall
11-20-2010, 01:15 PM
The way I look at reading even some basic material is, by the way the author wrote it might give me an idea to explain it myself to a new person in a better way that they learn faster and understand better. Nothing like a teacher that takes pains to learn how to teach their students. Their is also nothing like the pride a teacher feels when one of their students takes it to heart and accomplishes great things with that knowledge.

Beekeeper
11-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Are you a teacher by chance Doc?
I taught basic electric and electronics in the Navy.
Had to teach basic math to high school graduates before they took the course.
Spent more time teaching the basics of math and trying to explain electronics than anything else .
Sure was funny sometimes when you saw the light finally come on in some of their minds.

I did find the article of great use as like I said in a previous post it told me the basics and reenforced the things others had told me.

Enough that I have loaded my first BP shells.
Now to make sure I don't become a statistic when I shoot them.
Not likely but it gave me the confidence to do it
The light bulb thing you know!

Jim