PDA

View Full Version : I Need to make a cheap mould?

340six
11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
I have to make 2 lead washers thats it was thinking of 2 sockets but would they release?
Any easy materials to use for inside/outside rings? Also Cheap and hope I have what ever here [smilie=l:

Muddy Creek Sam
11-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Brass rod for inside and a piece of brass plate with a hole for rod and a machined area for washer.

Sam :D

Johnch
11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
If no need to be perfict ( not boolit quality )

I have made 1 time use moulds out of modeling clay
Dryed the clay in the oven on low and cast the part

Plaster of paris will also work

John

deltaenterprizes
11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
What are the dimensions? I have some thick and thin sheet lead and would be willing to help a brother coonass!
Plaster of Paris works well but needs to be heated in an oven to make sure all the moisture is removed.
250* for about an hour and pour while the mold is hot, 350* will give better fill out.

340six
11-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I need sort of quarter size with 3/8 holes 3/8 thick to 1/2 I was thinking of just casting 1 each way.
I keep looking at my shot glass's lol
I could just sand them to thickness.
Just need a 1 time mold so wondering whats good for pour and toss.

theperfessor
11-04-2010, 06:35 PM
If you have a spade drill the size of the O. D. and a 3/8 drill you could probably use a hardwood (oak maybe?) block for the cavity. Drill with the spade drill to depth, drill through with the 3/8 drill, put in a smooth 3/8 rod in the hole, and cast your washers. By the time the wood chars the lead should be solid. Push the rod and washer out of the wood and then press the washer off the rod.

Just a thought.

docone31
11-04-2010, 06:42 PM
If you find two steel washers, or brass, then solder a rod to them, you could immerse them in RTV rubber. After it sets up, Cut the rubber to remove the washers, and cut down the sprue line.
Now you have your mold.
Where only the rod showed, make it large enough to be a well so lead can be poured into the rubber. You will want to have two pieces of wood, steel, or anything that can keep the mold straight to pour.
The RTV will take the shape of the item.
On another note, You could cast a couple of jacketed bullets in the RTV, then inject wax into it. These would be the models for SILVER BULLETS!
You would use the lost wax method.
Good to have in case of the Undead locally, or am I thinking WereWolves?
I donno, but it can be done that way.

6.5 mike
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Silver is for werewolves, doc. [smilie=l:

docone31
11-04-2010, 08:01 PM
getting older every day.
A senior moment.
I never thought I would say that either.
I think.

runfiverun
11-04-2010, 08:59 PM
pine will make a mold too.
just drill the right width and depth.
i made some cylinders that way before.
you can clamp and drill the hole in the center.

JIMinPHX
11-05-2010, 12:51 AM
What's the application? Do you need hard lead or dead soft?

yobohadi
11-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Keep it simple and just fill the bottom of a couple muffin tins to the thickness of your desired washers (unless you need bigger diameter washers, then find something that will meet your needs) and use a hole saw bit to get the desired diameter of the washer and then drill out the hole in the center of the washer to the desired size.

Or if you don't have a hole saw bit that meets your needs, just cast a slug from a pipe, or the sockets you suggested, or even play dough and drill the center the desired diameter.