PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check: Star vs Lyman 4500?

Daryl
11-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi,

I'm using they Lyman 4500 for lube sizing. If all goes well, it seems I can do about 400 9mm/38's in an hour or so. First question: is this about average for everyone?

My volume is starting to go up and I'd like to be able to do a few thousand in a sitting. Honestly, one hour at the Lyman has my back aching!

I looked at Magma's web site and found the Star plus a bullet feeder and air feed set up for 3 calibers would end up about $765.

So, my question is this: Is it worth it? What production level have you experienced with the Star vs. the Lyman?

I look at the cost of buying lead makes my material cost less than a penny a bullet. Market prices are 6-8 cents or more for a ready-to-load lead bullet. So, I figure I'm "making" a nickel a piece in labor for the whole casting, sizing, lubing operation. I can cast/size/lube about 300 an hour with my current set up- so that's about $15 per hour (of course, with taxes & the gummit's share - I'd have to be making $25 an hour or so to pay out $15 in cash to buy them).

So, how much labor would the Star save? I can figure out the "payback" in bullets for my labor once I can get an idea of the production rate.

Thanks

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
you can save alot of money and still probalby triple your output just by buying the star without the air feed and bullet feed. If you feel after you get going that you need more speed then you can upgrade.

dragonrider
11-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't have the boolit feeder or air cylinder but can easily double the output of a Lyman or RCBS

Trifocals
11-04-2010, 02:09 PM
You can expect to at least double your output with a bare bones Star. If that is not enough, add the bullet feed, etc. later. Don't overlook the necessity for an air source for the airfeed.
LOL

Springfield
11-04-2010, 02:30 PM
With the air feed and the bullet feeder, not counting the time to put the bullets in the tubes, I can do 1000 an hour with Big Lube Blackpowder bullets. With smokeless bullets it can go faster. I load the tubes while watching TV, or while I am watching the kids, so it isn't totally dead time. While in the tubes I can give the bullets a good once over. Easier than looking at every one while sizing. Mostly it is just so dang much easier using the Star when voume is concerned, and the less mental stress is worth it. Sizing is boring, anything that speeds it up is a good thing.

curiousgeorge
11-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Try a plain Star without the extras. Spend your money on the sizing dies and lube. I finally got to where the only thing I use the Lymans on is a gas check rifle bullet that you only need 50 or 100 pieces. I'm betting you will run out of bullets to size and lube through the plain Star long before you get so tired that you have to quit. Your output should at least double, and if you go with nose first sizing, maybe more than that.

Steve

Echo
11-06-2010, 02:31 AM
+1 for whatever - I have no air or boolit feeder, and have no desire for them. And I can easily do 600-700 per hour. And I'm with CG above, using two Lachmillers (one w/50/50, one w/Red) for GC boolits.