PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass for filler

Will
11-04-2010, 06:28 AM
I am doing some building and have several chunks of fiberglass insulation left over. Could this be used for a filler or would it melt when fired and glass line your bore? I've never used a filler but would like to for some light loads. How light a load requires a filler?

excess650
11-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Fiberglass scrapers are often used for scraping ways on machinery. I wouldn't consider it as a filler.

Dacron is generally used as a filler. Its cheap and melts.

NuJudge
11-04-2010, 06:41 AM
You'd like something that vaporizes or burns on cartridge ignition. Glass fiber will not. Glass fiber might not be ejected from the case on firing, leaving a melted mass adhering to the inside of your case.

44man
11-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Glass will do a nice job turning the gun into a smooth bore! :mrgreen:
Dacron does not burn, I find a lot of it out in front of my bench, just gets dirty. Most just shreds away.

runfiverun
11-04-2010, 01:02 PM
i'm with 44 man here.
glass is hard, even harder than brass, and is close to iron on a hardness scale.
i too had thought about fiberglass as a filler once.
dacron will just blow out the bbl.

theperfessor
11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I wonder if a little bit of it might be a good lapping material. Most of the stuff I've seen on lapping uses abrasive materials that you wouldn't want to use on a regular basis. But short-term use might be helpful under selected circumstances.

By the way glass is the "vitrified bond" used as a glue/binder to hold other abrasive particles together to make grinding wheels and stones. And believe that many glasses have a surface hardness above steel. When I get out to my office at work sometime I'll check that.

Shiloh
11-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Glass will do a nice job turning the gun into a smooth bore! :mrgreen:
Dacron does not burn, I find a lot of it out in front of my bench, just gets dirty. Most just shreds away.

It sure will. The bad thing will be watching the groups open up until it patterns rather than groups.

SHiloh