PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Progression-Contender

HEAD0001
11-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I am in the market for a Contender Frame. I found two. And the same individual has both. I am going to buy one of them. The difference is in the hammer. He said the first one has the original hammer with the slot in the hammer face that is turned to select between rimfire and CF. The second hammer has firing pin selector with cross bolt selector on the hammer to switch between RF and CF.

Is there a big difference in these hammers?? Is one better than the other?? Any opinions on the two?? Thanks, Tom.

bhn22
11-03-2010, 10:19 PM
The big question is in the locking mechanism. The slide type hammers are on the old style frames, and there have been updates made over the decades. The new style hammer is likely on an "easy open" frame, which is greatly preferable to the original design. I once bought an early frame, and newer barrels wouldn't lock up on it. I ended up sending it to T/C, who ended up trading me out of the old frame straight up for a new one. My old one went into their product museum. They were so excited to get it that I've always wondered who it's original owner was.

Gunfixer
11-04-2010, 08:37 AM
The original Contender had a solid hammer spur. They reworked the metallurgy on the frame to make them stronger and changed to a spur with a hole in it and a square push button safety on it. The easy open feature was added next, then the selector was moved to the top of the hammer (convenience I guess) and the spur solid again. If you want to play in the "hand cannon" world, make sure the one you get has either the hollow spur/square safety or the selector on top. When I was shooting silhouettes, I could tell a difference in the lock time ( the hollow spurs were faster) but I just play and hunt anymore so it doesn't matter so much