PDA

View Full Version : Lee C309-113F boolit in M1 carbine

crashdummy
11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I recently purchased the "soup can" mould hoping to use it in both my M1 carbine and my Ruger Blackhawk. Cast a couple of hundred today with excellent results.
My alloy resulted in .312 boolits, so I sized and lubed to .309. I have to seat the boolit deeper than normal to allow the loaded cartridge to fully chamber in the Ruger's cylinder. My COAL is 1.490. Guess I will have to find a .308 die to see if this will allow a longer col. Have not tried it in the carbine yet.. Anyone else experience this ? Any comments are welcome. Thank you and have a GREAT day !
:lovebooli

Buckshot
11-04-2010, 01:58 AM
................I have a Ruger BH in that flavor. Haven't shot it in 5-6 years or so but that Lee was an exceptional boolit. I also used the Lyman 311410 (130gr RNPB) but it wasn't as accurate, and that may simply be the slow 20" twist Ruger saddled the pistol with (as in the 30 M1 Carb).

My Ruger has .308" chamber mouths, and the barrel slugged a perfect .300" x .308". It's been so long now I don't recall off the top of my head exactly what all I'd done with it sizing wise. I have all the data in my notebook for it but I'm not in a position to go out to the shop a the moment for it.

A couple things I DO recall is that it seemed 4227 was one of the best powders I'd used in it. I also recall trying to work up a mild target load for it with light charges and used the 77gr Lyman 311252 along with the Lee. Seems like it didn't matter much, the revolver was still noisy :-)

...............Buckshot

missionary5155
11-04-2010, 03:58 AM
Good morning
Cannot add anything on the cast boolits BUT those Rugers are a great way to burn up the Ammo Rooms excess .30 carbine ammo while on the turret of a M60A1 tank cruising the impact areas at Ft Hood.