PDA

View Full Version : NRA DCM 1903 Springfield (1910)

STP22
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I recently traded into a 5/10 dated `03 Springfield with the NRA/flaming bomb stamp on the bottom metal. (435xxx)
The upper handguard dates a bit later, but the main stock cartouche is J F Coyle (JFC). My research shows that Mr. Coyle was an inspector in the 1906-1907 period. Does this make sense that the original barrel and receiver post-date his service to SA?

I do not have Brophy`s book...and my copy of Mr. Canfield`s is nowhere to be found.:o

elk hunter
11-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Any Springfield of that era has most likely been back through the arsenal for repair or rebuild at least once in its lifetime. As for the flaming bomb, as far as I know that is the standard army ordinance stamp. I hadn't ever heard that it had any connection to the NRA.

I'm assuming from your post that your new Springfield is from Springfield Armory and as such is considered to be a low number receiver. Some consider them brittle and unsafe. That said, I have one the government thought enough of to re-barrel in 1944, when they had lots of Garands to issue in place of the Springfield.

Since I collect military rifles, I for one would love to see a picture or two.

Enjoy your new piece.

flounderman
11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I got a deal on an 03, remington, with the open sight and the milled trigger guard. it had a red band painted around the forend and handguard. I contacted , I believe raritan arsenal, and got an 03 expert. he said the rifle had been sent to england as part of the lend lease and the red band was to identify the rifle as a 30-06. prior to aquiring that remington, I thought remington had just made the 03-a3, but they did make a number of the 03s, it turned out.

Buckshot
11-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Any Springfield of that era has most likely been back through the arsenal for repair or rebuild at least once in its lifetime. As for the flaming bomb, as far as I know that is the standard army ordinance stamp. I hadn't ever heard that it had any connection to the NRA.

I'm assuming from your post that your new Springfield is from Springfield Armory and as such is considered to be a low number receiver. Some consider them brittle and unsafe. That said, I have one the government thought enough of to re-barrel in 1944, when they had lots of Garands to issue in place of the Springfield.

Since I collect military rifles, I for one would love to see a picture or two.

Enjoy your new piece.

On the triggerguard metal ahead of the floorplate it will be stamped "NRA" and then the flaming ordnance bomb. I once had a guy offer me $75 for a triggerguard so stamped.

...................Buckshot

missionary5155
11-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Greetings
The handguards were a known weak point and replaced on many rifles. What is nice is the origonal barrel still with the old receiver as many were shot out in basic training and replaced.
I have a #500xxx still with a very nice barrel I bought from DCM years ago.

elk hunter
11-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Oops, I didn't catch that "NRA" was stamped also. I was thinking STP22 meant the ordinance bomb mark was an NRA mark.

In any case an early Springfield in decent condition is a find.

STP22
11-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I remembered that the NRA offered the 1903`s prior to WWII....and when I was told by the fellow it was also offered earlier than the roaring 20`s, I had to look that up. Found an early edition of Flayderman`s Guide at home and lo` and behold there it was.

It is Springfield Armory...smooth trigger, single stock bolt, cleaning kit.

No evidence of re-work, ie: second proof stamp P behind the trigger guard, nor additional inspector stamp. (Which prompted my original question when I looked up Mr. Coyle`s service at SA)

Pics?? I wish... :sad:

Multigunner
11-04-2010, 05:22 PM
In peace time rifles might be put aside for years before being finished out to fullfill a need.
Components might be pulled from storage to complete a rifle years after they had been completed and inspected.

It was common for component parts , especially stocks, to be made in runs far larger than the numbers needed to fill orders at the time. They took advantage of increased supplies of seasoned wood to avoid shortages of suitable wood , and resulting production bottle necks later on.

Bob S
11-04-2010, 09:45 PM
The NRA rifles were sales rifles ... sold to individuals for training, competition and sporting purposes. As such, they left government ownership and would not have gone through any "arsenal overhaul". From time to time, Springfield offered some services to the original purchasers of the rifles, such as rebarreleing, or installation of the Lyman 48 rear sight. Springfield also sold parts to "qualified buyers" ... officers and NRA members ... so an owner of one of these rifles could purchase a star-gauged barrel, or a new-style stock and have it installed by a civilian gunsmith, or as a DIY project. So while there may be a very small probability that a newer barrel (for example) was put on a sales rifle at Springfield, it is more likely that any changes to the rifle were made by a civilian gunsmith or a civilian owner.

I'd like to see pictures of the rifle ... it sounds like a real treasure!

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Bob S
11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
P.S. To help determine the origin of the stock on the rifle ... does the stock have 2 "recoil bolts"; 1 "recoil bolt" (should be in the back of the magazine), or "none"?

Resp'y,
Bob S.

bob208
11-04-2010, 10:15 PM
i have a 03' with a 05 barrel date. yes it is one that the .30-03 barrel was cut back one thread and rechambered to .30-06

STP22
11-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Bob S,

The stock has one bolt to the rear of the magazine.

Maybe you can answer another question for me. It features a rear sight that I happen to have in my spare parts assortment that differs from most. At the very top of the sight (upright position), there is a sighting groove. What is it`s intended purpose?

Regards,

Scott

Bob S
11-05-2010, 08:00 AM
The "single bolt stock" was made between 1908 and 1917, so it is at least period-correct if not original to the rifle.

The sighting notch at the top of the sight ladder is the 2800 yard sight, and indicates that the sight was made prior to 1918. That notch was eliminated during WW I production; it was not reinstated after the war because it was not useful for much of anything.

The bomb/NRA marking was applied to sales rifles starting in 1915; of course, sales were discontinued in 1917.

Springfield Research Service should have a record of the sale of the rifle if it is truly an NRA sales rifle.

Now how about those pictures ... ?

STP22
11-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Bob S,

Appreciate the explanation...

I don`t imagine that was tried at Daytona beach when the trajectory tables were proved to be optimistic. :roll:

I can`t provide photo`s....sorry.

Regards,

Scott

gnoahhh
11-07-2010, 07:32 PM
If it's truly an un-messed with NRA Sales Model you have a very good find. It will have a premium value over a like-condition Service rifle of the same vintage. I know of guys who would walk blindfolded across Times Square at rush hour for one of those. If the bore is nice I would shoot it. Don't hotrod it out of respect for what it is.

Find someone with a camera and take some pics of it and post them. It really isn't a big deal, and I for one would love to see it.