PDA

View Full Version : getting some water main lead

arjacobson
11-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Hello- I have been getting a steady supply of lead from all the old water main valves we replace at work.. If they have a leaded joint I break the leftover cast pipe in the valve and get a pretty good bunch of lead. Yesterday I got 15lbs out of a 8" valve.. Tomorrow we have to replace an old leaded in tee.. Those are usually good for 50-60lbs in one shot if the main is big enough.. Also if you check with excavation contractors they usually have large supplies of lead from old service lines... Usually they will give it to you for very reasonable prices if you clean up the lead pile for them!!! Just a few more ideas for lead seekers..

Muddy Creek Sam
11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
You know, It amazes me that we aren't all brain damage or dead from lead water pipes. From what they say about it now we should all be defective.

Sam :D

felix
11-03-2010, 06:34 PM
How do you really know we are not? Consider the state-of-the-union's rate of depreciation over the last 50 years. ... felix

arjacobson
11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
It is kind of funny isn't it.. Every old cast iron water main had leaded joints.. Most of the service lines were solid lead.. All of the lead service lines have a BUNCH of buildup inside but when they were new???? We replaced a valve one time and the hemp rope inside must not have held the lead back. I bet there was a 15-20lb pc of lead just hanging inside the main... I did a public service and properly disposed of it.......LOL

Charlie Two Tracks
11-03-2010, 07:21 PM
What about the lead fishing sinkers that you bite to get them to hold on the line and then bike the other side to release them?

jpsw44
11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I still probably have 100#'s or so left of lead pipe service connections from when we doing alot of service changes...Tell you what..id rather drink from a lead pipe than some of the cement lined iron pipe services ive changed. OOF!!! That tuberculation inside is pretty gross.

arjacobson
11-03-2010, 08:38 PM
yes it is... We have a few mains with nasty crusty bits inside.. Most of the lead service lines are pretty smooth inside compared to cast or ductile main

jmsj
11-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,
A friend called me yesterday and says he's got some lead from a water main he replaced.
Is this straight lead or does it have tin in it?
Thanks, jmsj

blaser.306
11-03-2010, 09:39 PM
I got about a ton of the lead pipe that you are talking about this summer ! It is definately soft , Maybe not pure , but very soft!!

11-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Most of my Pb has come from cast iron joints and solid drain lines. Old hydrants had lead bases for flexability(when vehicles bumped them).

arjacobson
11-05-2010, 08:31 PM
No kidding on the hydrants??!! Everything we have up north is pretty much set up with breakaways.. Never seen one with a lead base. Learn something new everyday... I have rebuilt/fixed/repaired(usually in the winter after being hit) well over 100 hydrants in the last 9 years...I can rebuild all the old and new waterous-clows-muellers-and some new ones we have that I cannot remember the name..LOL