PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun 'smith needed

msp2640
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Gents - I was given a Savage/ Stevens 16 ga SxS that is in great shape metal and wood wise, however the internals are seized up and what appears to have been a brass bead for the front sight has been sheared off. I removed the buttstock for a better viewing of the action and it appears it's locked up from old grease/ oil - not corrosion. I've tried soaking the parts in Kroil and it hasn't helped. I don't know enough about the action to start messing around with it - I wouldn't even attempt the bead replacement. If the gun was a true beater I'd give it a go, but this is in really nice shape otherwise - any reccomendations for a gunsmith who may be interested in/ experienced in taking on the task? I'm thinking more along the economy route, especially since it's not a Purdey or H&H - Thanks Bill L

waksupi
11-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Bill, try some Goop hand cleaner, dental pick,and a toothbrush. I've used Goop on cosmoline with good results, it may cut the grease from your action. Gas, or some other solvent may work. I don't think Kroil has enough "cut" to it.

elk hunter
11-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Brake parts cleaner. Just don't get any on the stock if you want to save the finish.

akajun
11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Take off all the wood, soak the action in a coffee can of diesel for a week or two. New diesel has a lot of solvent in it and you will find a layer of smut in the bottom of the can. Pull it out and hit it with compressed air.

If that doesnt work, look up an electrolyitic cleaner, after about an hour it will be spotless.

nicholst55
11-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Or, I can recommend a good, affordable gunsmith who has experience on these guns. He rebuilt a beat Savage 311 20 gauge for me into a very nice little grouse gun.

PM me if you're interested.

missionary5155
11-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Good morning
Paint thinner. That is what I use to remove any petrolium product. Narrow stiff paint brush for those little areas helps.

msp2640
11-05-2010, 02:02 AM
I have all of the recommended solvents, etc to try to free up the action and will try a second attempt this weekend. Buttstock and forend are already removed and it has sat as a bunch of parts since the summer. I should have started this clean and rebuild then, but didn't need the bench space until now. Nicholst55 - I'll send you a PM, I still need to address the front bead issue - Thanks to all Bill L