PDA

View Full Version : The Ol'Coot did it!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Sorry no photographs, nothing worthy of such.

However, my months long quest to join the Cast Boolit rifle hunters has now bore fruit.

I didn't get the hoped for cow moose tag this year, hunted elk and saw tracks, and was asleap at the switch when it came to applying for my extra deer tag.

So, unless I draw the lucky number in the local bullalo shoot, or some of you have some rouge elephants needing culled from your garden, my hunting is over for 2010.

Yesterday, about 10:30am, my RUGER #1s - 45/70, loaded with a 355gr LBT /WFP powered by 55gr. RL#7 did the trick on a shot of about 100yds. [smilie=w:

The yearling buck was "DRT" - "Bang Flop" and the results to say the least, were unquestionable.

I hit a bit high and took the critter through the spine with the expected instant results. Had hoped for a through and through on the behind the shoulders shot.

A bit more damage then I expected, but the flat nose of the LBT really produced the shock value. Part of the damage would be due to the bone fragments being shoved out by the boolit.

I suspect the hair seen in the wound channel would be due to the fact that the boolit is, because of the WFN, already "expanded" at impact rather then beginning expansion after impact.

Anyway, the rifle is bloodied and from what I have seen, once I get my groups tightened up a bit and providing velocities stay about the same, a 200yd shot should be a "give me."

Not one question about the potential effectiveness of that LBT/WFN boolit at 2290fps muzzle velocity.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot :cbpour:

Rangefinder
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Congrats to ya! It's one thing to take game with a proven bullet combo that you reloaded and developed--it's something else entirely to take game with a bullet you MADE from something that use to ride on a truck tire or such. Well Done!! Hope to hear how he tastes soon!

9.3X62AL
11-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Very nice, Coot! 2290 FPS hurts on both ends in that 7-1/4# rifle, I'll bet.

Von Gruff
11-03-2010, 04:26 PM
A sense of satisfaction well earned. There is nothing as rewarding as taking an animal with your own cast boolits. Well done.

Von Gruff.

JJC
11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
9.3 I second that, 2290 fps! I'm mealting some truck ww now about 5" long and heavy. Nice work Mr Coot

Jack Stanley
11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Nothing dreary about that hunt is there ? Sounds like your big ol' forty-five did good with you behind the trigger . If'n ya wanna do some more shootin' , There was three 'coons using my rain barrel for a swimming pool without a lifeguard . I just fished them out an you can use 'em for expansion tests if ya want 8-)

Jack

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Well, Have been using a sisy bag for bench work and off hand or sitting etc. not a problem.

Suuuuure glad the pain of shooting with the iron sights and lower head position did not continue. !!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowww

AS stated in earlier posts, wasn't sure I was "man enough" for the 45/70 the way it started out. And that was with 405s at about 1600fps.

Higher head position with scope solved that!!

Anyway, the whole thing yesterday was kind of anti-climatic. :lovebooli

Critter very dead, very quickly, kind of the end of the story.

Need lots more critters to test boolits on. Shouldn't have started so late I guess!

And of course, didn't feel the recoil yesterday and the "crack" was more of a "pop."

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Old Goat Keeper
11-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Anybody know when coot season starts??? lol Good job Crusty! Bout the hair in the wound channel.... I read where those big flat meplats act like they have a sharp edge on the leading edge and can/will cut hair off ahead of it.

Tom

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Figured the hair came from the entry side.

Bit surprised as I had never seen that with the "J" boolits.

Have a lot of questions, and as indicated should have started much earlier in life.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

OH by the way, it is always open season on OL'Coots in Ideeeeeho, wolves come next!

CDOC