PDA

View Full Version : A newbee caster at the range!

1Shirt
11-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Ran into a nice guy at the range yesterday who was very unknowledgable (if that is a word) about cast. He was evidently a serious muzzle loader, and said that he had cast a lot of RB, and was supprised that they did not all weigh the same. He said he had bought a 340 gr. Lee mold for his H&R 45-70, but said he was getting poor accuracy. Asked him what dia he was shooting, he didn't know. Asked him about sizing, and he really didn't know what I was talking about. Asked him about lube, and he was using Lee mule snot (he got a kick out of me calling it that). Said he was loading a slow burning powder, but couldn't remember the load. Asked him what he had for a reloading manual, and he said "Lee". I believe he was useing pure lead, and who knows what combination in loading.

I gave him this web sight, and recommended he read, read, and read some more. Also recommended that he buy a Lyman manual and read, read, read. Sure hope he does!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

beagle
11-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, at least he was tryin' but lost as a ball in the tall weeds. You gave him good advice and maybe he'll take it and become one of us./beagle

Rangefinder
11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
"Prepare to be integrated into the collective---resistance is futile..." Good on ya for helping steer him right. Makes a guy wonder just how many have tried casting and turned away from it from exactly the same kind of experience--or rather lack-there-of. I've met quite a few who wouldn't even consider shooting lead because of their die-hard belief that it "makes such a horrible mess in their guns". Seems to make sense if I think about it in these terms.

JJC
11-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Yea back in the day I... I ....I threw out a large coffee can of ww, my first score. Cause every one said that cleaning them up was a pain and not worth it.

yobohadi
11-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Just a couple years ago I was that guy! Since then I have seen the error of my ways and with the help of this wonderful group of casters (or should I say hoarders :) ) I can actually hold my own in a conversation on the range. Not to mention pour some decent boolits now.

geargnasher
11-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Now, if you'd printed out some Castboolits business cards from our new program and had them with you you could have given him one of those!

Good on you for lending a hand, almost nobody here shoots cast at the public range unless it's factory stuff.

Gear