PDA

View Full Version : Primer wad?

kokomokid
11-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Wondered how thick and what kind of primer wad most shooters are useing? I started out with a magnum primer on swiss 1.5 and it dont burn very clean. Read where duplex loads shot real clean and thought the hot primer might give similar results. Now I see some are useing Rem pistol with a .009 artist paper?

Boz330
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I use 2 newsprint wads with CCI BR-2. I forget the thickness. That load is for my Ballard. In my Highwall I use Remington Lg Pistol primers with 2 wads.

Bob

herbert buckland
11-03-2010, 10:43 PM
I use a puched out milk carton wad and CCI large pistol primers in my old brass ,I do not youse a wad in the new brass but still youse the CCI LPPs

Boz330
11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I use a puched out milk carton wad and CCI large pistol primers in my old brass ,I do not youse a wad in the new brass but still youse the CCI LPPs

Herbert, are you using the milk carton wad over the primer, or the powder? I would think that the primer wouldn't get through something that thick.

Bob

herbert buckland
11-04-2010, 05:15 PM
I use the milk carton wads as primer wads,this came about when a friend gave me some 56-50 brass that had the flash holes enlarged( this compleatly destroyed acuracy)I started out using 1 thikness of alaminium foil and went up to 4 folds,noting that acuracy started to inprove after 3 foldes, then I noticed some Milk carton wads that I had cut for over pouder wads for my 44 Evans,these droped nicley to the bottom of the 56-50 casses ,so I loaded up 5,not expecting these to work,to my suprise not only did I get perfect ignition acuracy also returned to almost as good as new casses

kokomokid
11-04-2010, 05:38 PM
interesting? I had not read of aluminum foil wads. I did read where Dan Theodore was useing .008 artist paper on large pistol primer several years ago. Just wonder if L pistol primer needs .008 - .009 wad in flash hole to seat the primer down firm?

herbert buckland
11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
interesting? I had not read of aluminum foil wads. I did read where Dan Theodore was useing .008 artist paper on large pistol primer several years ago. Just wonder if L pistol primer needs .008 - .009 wad in flash hole to seat the primer down firm?I place the primer wadds on the inside of the cass below the pouder ,I tryed the primer pocket method but it is so fidely I gave up ,also now I belive the wadd neds to be thicker to make a difrence,my best acuracy is achived with anealed fire formed new brass with no primer wadd,I youse the wadds when acuracy starts to drop off because I am a cheap barstard

Kenny Wasserburger
11-06-2010, 10:49 PM
We use Ashless filter Paper between the Pistol Primer and the primer Pocket cut then with a 40 cal wad punch put then in the shell holder and place the case on top and seat the primer.

Pretty simple and easy to do.

In my big cases the 2-7/8ths Sharps The wad goes inside the case. Accuracy is:

Well lets say the results speak for themselves.

KW
The Lunger

kokomokid
11-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Kenny how thick is this paper and why ashless ? I was having a tough time getting .085 artist paper under my primers then remembered I had a shell holder for ballon head 43 Sp and it works great. Many thanks also for the lube test.

Kenny Wasserburger
11-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Ashless leaves no residue behind thats the main Reason, it is filter Paper That I get from Amazon.com same stuff Dan T uses.

I should Mention for the inside Wads I use Mead Tracing Paper as it was what I started with when I worked up my loads many years back with the 45-110. I hate to change anything as that load has, when the shooter is on, Shot Lights Out in many matches.

Kenny W
PS I will get out to the shop today and get back with Number I know its Watman Ashless Filter Paper. Same stuff I used in Lab work many years ago, To filter out the graphite from smelting in Graphite crucibles for Mineral Analysis, of coal.
The Lunger

Gellot Wilde
11-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Single newsprint wad cut with a .40 cal wad punch.

fiatmom
11-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Why do you put a wad over the primer?

Gellot Wilde
11-15-2010, 10:02 AM
It's done to give a more uniform ignition of the powder...the flame having to cut through the primer wad...a uniform barrier before igniting the powder.

I just drop a .40 cal newsprint wad into the .45 case...others place the wad under between the primer and the bottom of the primer pocket...not tried that...quite happy doing it the easy way for now.

I have read that back in day it was done by target shooters...they used cigarette papers.

I did some testing using newsprint, cigarette paper and aluminum foil...the latter was pretty good over the chrono, but I went with the newsprint as it was easier to cut out.