PDA

View Full Version : Help with Smith 686

63 Shiloh
11-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Well, I have gone and done it, fully stripped my S&W 686 and cannot get it back together again:oops:

I don't know where the hand spring is supposed to go, cannot get the side plate back on either.

Searched the net but cannot find a vid on how to assemble my revolver from a complete break down.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Mike

HeavyMetal
11-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Suggest you go to www.gunparts.com

they offer parts diagrams showing where everything goes so you can order parts.

Hopefully someone told you that the side plate screws were different lengths and must go back in the original holes???

If not measure them the short one goes in the threaded hole and retains the yoke in the gun, but to long a screw will cause it to bind when opened.

44man
11-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Well, I have gone and done it, fully stripped my S&W 686 and cannot get it back together again:oops:

I don't know where the hand spring is supposed to go, cannot get the side plate back on either.

Searched the net but cannot find a vid on how to assemble my revolver from a complete break down.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Mike
OH MY, why are you so far away? They really are easy. It is hard for me to give instructions though. If I had one here I could do it for you.

ReloaderFred
11-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't force anything together! Sideplates are hand fitted and will "press" in place, but don't force it. S&W revolvers are really quite simple, but without having it in hand, it's kind of hard to tell you how to put it back together.

Hope this helps.

Fred

jameslovesjammie
11-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Do you know anyone who has the Jerry Miculek Trigger Job DVD? Has a good section on break down and reassembly.

lonewelder
11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Maybe someone could post a picture of a smith with the side plate off.I would post one but getting the pic from camera to here is beyond me.

9.3X62AL
11-03-2010, 11:26 PM
The "hand spring" may be mis-aligned if the hand doesn't turn into its gallery when the trigger assembly is inserted onto its pivot arbor.

The most common reason for the S&W sideplate to NOT fit back on is mis-alignment of the hammer block in its recess inside the sideplate. As Fred noted--there is no need to force this into place. If all is as it is supposed to be internally, the sideplate will usually fall into place with moderate pressure from one finger on the right end of the sideplate.

Moore
11-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Here's a photo of my 586. On your side plate you have to put the top in first then gently tap it on. Hope this helps.

bobthenailer
11-04-2010, 11:34 AM
on the last picture you have to put the hammer block in the full up postion to install the side plate

63 Shiloh
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks very much fellers,

I seem to have it all sorted except for one part: 'the hand torsion spring'

This is the only bit I do not know where or what sort of orientation it fits into the gun.

I looked at an exploded diagram, yet it does not have the detail for installation of this little hand torsion spring.

Mike

imashooter2
11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
This should do it for you:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/94072-faqs.html#post1029061

63 Shiloh
11-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Ah ha!!

Roger that, now its working again.

Thanks fellers, have a great weekend!

Mike

UnderDawgAl
11-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Glad you got back together. Good folks here!