PDA

View Full Version : $1 a lb for WW

Johnch
11-02-2010, 10:58 PM
This afternoon I had to make a parts run for work

Got to the supply house and found out , their truck droping off the parts was a hour or 2 out

So I hit a few tire stores in the area

2 were a bust , as they returned for credit all WW
1 had a heaping coffee can full I got for free
1 had around 200 lbs , I got for $30

Then place there was the chain store I tryed
When I ask
The manager's eyes lit up

He said sure , we have 2+ pallet boxs full
I looked in the corner of the shop and saw steel pallet boxs about 36" square and 24" high , 2 of witch were heaped with WW's and another partly full

I figured I had hit the mother load

Then he said I could have them all for $1 a lb :veryconfu :veryconfu :veryconfu

I about spit my pop on him

I ask Hoooooow much did you say ?
And he confirmed $1 a lb
And took me to his computer and showed me that lead was going for more than $1
He figured he was giving me a deal

I ask how many he had sold .......he answerd non at the $1 price
And he seemed a bit mad when I offered him $ .10 a lb for them all

He said he would just take them to the scrap yard
As he was sure he was going to get $1 or close a lb

I told him his price was a touch high and left

As I walked out , a salesman was laughing
We talked for a few min

My best guess after talking to the salsman
The manager truely thinks he is going to get $1 a lb

Not from me and not from anyone else that has ask about WW's in the last year either

John

Ole
11-02-2010, 11:04 PM
More power to him for being an optimist. :mrgreen:

frankenfab
11-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't see it happening, unless he waits a bit, but we are paying $1/# shipped here on the forum, now. That lot should definitely qualify for a quantity discount.

9.3X62AL
11-02-2010, 11:10 PM
If he gets 30 cents/lb at a scrap yard, I'd be surprised.

Johnch
11-02-2010, 11:33 PM
I forgot to add
When I looked

His WW's had the normal scrap , steel and Zink WW's mixed in

Yea $1 for ingoted out WW's is 1 thing
But ..............his are far from the ingot stage

John

Rusty W
11-02-2010, 11:43 PM
WW with clips still on them are considered "dirty" & go for about .07-10 cents a pound at the scrap yard here if you're selling. If you're buying lead scrap it's going for $1.25 a pound. One yard will let you pick through somewhat if they're not too busy. They don't seperate & some guys don't know pure from lino from xray. I bought a bunch a couple years ago for .30 cents a pound. My how times have changed....

frankenfab
11-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I forgot to add
When I looked

His WW's had the normal scrap , steel and Zink WW's mixed in

Yea $1 for ingoted out WW's is 1 thing
But ..............his are far from the ingot stage

John

Yup, I was wrong. forgot that it was $1 a pound shipped for smelted ingots.

JIMinPHX
11-03-2010, 12:05 PM
The spot price of lead is around $1.10 / lb right now. http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/Lead.html

That's probably what the manager was looking at. That is for pure lead, in ingots, certified alloy.

Wheel weights in a bucket have a percentage of steel clips, zinc & other crud mixed in. It's not the same stuff.

The cash price of WW & the e-bay price of lead ingots seems to move differently than the official spot price of lead. E-bay ingots were selling for $1 when the spot price of lead was $.50 & it's not much higher than that now that the spot price is over a buck. The cash price for WW varies all over the place. Every tire shop is different. Every tire shop guy has a different understanding of what he should sell for or pay to get rid of.

That manager needs to look up the scrap price of lead, not the spot price. There is a reason that he is sitting on such a big pile. He's asking the wrong price. The price of scrap WW varies by region & by scrap dealer, but it's not the same as spot. This scrap guy is paying $0.27 right now - http://www.earthworksrecycling.com/prices/index.html That's on the high side if you ask me. My local guy pays between $.02-$.10 depending on what he thinks he can get you to sell for, & tries to get $.75 when selling. I've bought directly from a guy that was trying to sell to him (out in the parking lot) for $.025, so I'm not welcomed there so much anymore. The middle man doesn't like it when you cut him out.

Hardcast416taylor
11-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Last Thursday at my local scrap yard they were charging .75 cents per lb. if I was buying ww, and paying .25 cents if you were selling.Robert

lwknight
11-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I can get 0.55 for junk lead here in TX near fort worth. Places farther out in the boonies pay less than top price.
#1 clean copper pays $3.25 per pound locally.
I ran into that in Odessa where I got $80.00 per ton on short iron and I could get $200.00 in Ft.Worth. 3 tons was worth driving the 300 miles for the difference. I had 12 tons.
Same with copper and aluminum and brass.
Earthworks recycling is paying about 1/2 the real scrap value.

Roundnoser
11-04-2010, 01:54 PM
If I cant get WW for free, I can expect to pay from 10 - 25 cents / pound. JohnCH, You should have left that guy your phone number and ask him to call you AFTER he finds out how little hed actually get at the scrap yards! -- By the way, good deal on your scrounging! By my calculations, you paid about 15 cents / pound. I would have jump on that too!

DLCTEX
11-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I was getting ww for free at the local tire shop until someone offered to pay $1.50 a lb. for them.

steg
11-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Last time I bought WW's at a tire dealership, it turned out to be around 2/3 zinc, a PITA to sort. It worked out to over a buck a pound for the ingots I finally got, makes a dollar a Lb not look so bad, if it's in ingot form...................................steg

bootsnthejeep
11-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Sounds like the fourth-generation boy wonder running the truck shop down the road from my work.

They've always had tons of pallets lying around. And pallets were always free for the hauling. Just like every other place up and down the road.

Well, Boy Wonder gets it in his head (he's been having lots of stupid ideas like this lately, he must have paid some consultant to give him this much brilliance...) that pallets that have been free all this time now are worth money.

His new favorite phrase for EVERYTHING waste related is "That has value!".

So now he wants $2 a pallet from the people looking to haul them off. Usually for firewood.

Needless to say, now nobody wants his pallets, everybody warns each other away from that nutjob that thinks his pallets are gold, and you can barely move in his yard now for stacks of pallets. Which soon he is going to have to PAY SOMEONE to haul away.

But in the meantime, he's sitting on a fortune of valuable $2 pallets.

Moron.

clintsfolly
11-10-2010, 02:22 PM
called yesterday the two local yards and was told there paying .10 at one .32 at the other but this yard down grades real bad Clint

Rangefinder
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Then he said I could have them all for $1 a lb

Yup, did some checking around yesterday where we're going to start going for groceries and what-not (different town). Had one store tell me they couldn't give out haz-mat, had to be recycled. Tried telling the guy he was being fed a fish story if he thinks WW's are haz-mat. He wouldn't budge. Another wanted 80 cents a pound in dirty buckets, and a third wanted 60 cents a pound in dirty buckets. Finally talked to one guy that wasn't trying to get rich, just wanted some .38's to feed his pistol with. NO PROBLEM!! So next time we go for a grocery run, I plan on having a few boxes of .38's loaded up and ready to swap. Not a total bust for phone-checking. Plenty of morons out there who seem to think their ww's are dirt-plated gold though.

Storydude
11-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Sounds like the fourth-generation boy wonder running the truck shop down the road from my work.

They've always had tons of pallets lying around. And pallets were always free for the hauling. Just like every other place up and down the road.

Well, Boy Wonder gets it in his head (he's been having lots of stupid ideas like this lately, he must have paid some consultant to give him this much brilliance...) that pallets that have been free all this time now are worth money.

His new favorite phrase for EVERYTHING waste related is "That has value!".

So now he wants $2 a pallet from the people looking to haul them off. Usually for firewood.

Needless to say, now nobody wants his pallets, everybody warns each other away from that nutjob that thinks his pallets are gold, and you can barely move in his yard now for stacks of pallets. Which soon he is going to have to PAY SOMEONE to haul away.

But in the meantime, he's sitting on a fortune of valuable $2 pallets.

Moron.

48" 4way's bring 5 bucks each here in NY. More if they are all hardwood. That was, until the pallet place burned to the ground last month.

I sold 200# of raw WW the other day to the yard for .75/lb....Of course, I've scrapped over 1,000 tons of **** with them in the last year...

Markbo
11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I was getting ww for free at the local tire shop until someone offered to pay $1.50 a lb. for them.

And that right there is why it is so hard to find free WW!!!!

lwknight
11-18-2010, 10:00 PM
I wonder if the guy offering $1.50 on WWs is a blathering idiot or if he knows something?

stainless1911
11-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Holly Auto, a junk yard, wanted .50 a pound which is ok if you want 20 bucks worth, but if Im buying a whole bucket, Im not going over 50$. The bucket weighed 163 lbs full. 1/3 of that will be steel, so I'm not paying 80 bucks for al that.

D Crockett
11-18-2010, 10:39 PM
if they ask over $20 for a 5 gal bucket of WW I walk away laughing I have had them stop me and ask why I was laughing and I tell them they will get around $0.10 a lb at the scrap yard and at $20 a bucket is all I will pay for them more time than not I walk away with a bucket or two at $20 each D Crockett

stainless1911
11-18-2010, 11:44 PM
I wish. that just aint gonna happen around here, the demand is too high.

troy_mclure
11-20-2010, 04:08 AM
here too, $1/lb would be a good price, but most shops are sending back to be recycled, and the few smaller shops are already spoken for.

stainless1911
11-20-2010, 05:16 AM
that was my problem. I could only find one place, once a month. I get 2 to 5 lbs. a month. that's it.