PDA

View Full Version : trapdoor springfield

dragonrider
09-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Stopped at a yard sale today across the street. Was lookin at old tools when I noticed the seller showing some guns to another fellow, naturally I got over there as quick as I could, one I never got to look at but it was old and not recognizable by me, another was a 1917 springfield 30-06, sporterized, looked very nice but the first fellow had that one in hand and was looking it over carefully, he was an older fellow and appeared to be on his last leg but damned if he didn't buy it for $50.00. Yes that is not a misprint.
Then there was the trapdoor sitting there so I picked it up and groaned. The stock is broken almost in half and held together with nails, appears to have been used as a club repeatedly as there are several deep marks on the butt stock that are from the same object what ever that may have been. The bore is very dark but I can see some rifleing. I bought it anyway for $150.00, more that it is worth I am sure, he was asking $250.00. From the wear on the action I believe it has seen very much use. The latch spring is missing and the sear spring is broken andI don't think the stock is repairable.
Is it possible to aquire a stock for it.???? If so where would I look. It will never be anything but a wall hanger I am sure. Anyway tell me what you think.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/trapdoor/trapdoor008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/trapdoor/trapdoor016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/trapdoor/trapdoor007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/trapdoor/trapdoor010.jpg

It has been painted, everything was painted. Suprisingly what rust there is, is very light. some pitting but not alot. The metalwork is fixable, don't know about the bore yet, need to clean it up. Might take a while.

45 2.1
09-30-2006, 09:44 PM
You need to check the bore size. I think you have a suprise in store.

StanDahl
10-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Sheesh, that's a beater! Could've been an Indian gun for all anyone knows. I think what 45 2.1 is alluding to is that gun is old even for a Trapdoor - it looks like an 1866 model. Those were converted from Civil War muzzleloaders. You probably won't be able to see evidence of the barrel liner at the muzzle that reduced the caliber from .58 to .50. If it's actually a 1865 model, it would be .58 cal (unlikely).

You might be able to get wood from Dixie or Treebone Carving, depending on how much you want to spend. Trapdoorcollector.com might have parts, as well as Trapdoors Galore. Stan

dragonrider
10-01-2006, 08:53 AM
The only numbers I can find are on the buttplate, "US" "266" . On the underside of the barrel is stamped "95".

Buckshot
10-01-2006, 10:36 AM
................Dixie Gunworks sells TD carbine stocks. Cheaper yet might be someone with a rifle stock that has been already cut back for a carbine. In case you're wondering, my suggestion is to make it a carbine :-). Parts are available.

There should be a date stamped on top of the breechblock right at the hinge. I had Montana Rifleman rebarrel an 1884 infantry rifle for me. They have a tracer lathe and perfectly matched the GI barrel contour. It dropped back into the stock and the barrel bands easily fit. If you go that route also have them drill and tap the barrel of the rear sights. The TD rear sights all shared the same screw size, thread and hole spaceing.

................Buckshot

13Echo
10-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Judging from the sight, action and the shape of the breechblock the barrelled action is an 1870, .50-70 Springfield. The stock, however, is either one for an 1873 or has been sanded -- a lot. The cleaning rod is not a Springfield rod. The lock is also an 1873 style but seems to lack the Eagle. The hammer is correct for an 1870. This appears to be a Bannerman special or a Bubba parts gun. Parts are available from S&S and Al Frasca. The hard part will be the stock and a proper cleaning rod, both of which, if you can find them, will cost more than the rifle. If the breechblock locks up tight an the chamber and barrel aren't too bad it could still be a shooter.

floodgate
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
dragonrider:

It's clearly a .50-70 barrel and action. And the bayonet is probably worth more than the whole rest of the rifle. Should make a nice and interesting job, either to restore, or just as a "shooter".

floodgate