PDA

View Full Version : IMR 4227 load for a 1892 Win and 115 grain hardcast

Timberghozt
09-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I am looking for a good load for an original 1892 Win in 32-20 fellas..I want to shoot it with 115 grain hard cast bullets.I have found some load data for this grain weight with a jacketed bullet at 12 grains of IMR 4227 which I have on hand.Would this be ok with a cast bullet?
I am a novice with cast bullets.Only recently have I began using them in my Ruger BlackHawk shooting 38 Specials but I am growing more addicted to shooting cast every time I shoot em.I would appreciate any input you guys care to give on the subject.
I am not a novice handloader but I have little experience with cast bullets.The rifle is a family heirloom and I want to take no chance of harming the little carbine with a hot load,only to shoot it a little and let my son shoot it..
Thanks in advance for any help..
Gene

9.3X62AL
09-30-2006, 01:20 PM
I would start at 10.0 grains of either IMR- or H-4227 with that 115 grainer in a 32-20 that you are concerned about being gentle with. I have no doubt that the 92 action can easily contain the 12.0 grain load with a safety margin to spare, but I like to make haste slowly with older firearms. For comparison's sake, the latest Speer Manual lists 11.0 grains of IMR-4227 as its max load using the 100 grain HP jacketed bullet.

I recently had some pretty decent results using both the Lee Soup Can (113 grain RN w/gas check) and Lyman #311316 sized @ .312" in my Marlin 94CCL. These little rifle rounds are addicting as can be, and I can think of few better centerfires for a young shooter to cut his teeth on. Are you planning to cast your own at some future time?

One recommendation I might make......get Starline brass in this caliber, it is significantly stronger than the W-W or R-P stuff. Use care in setting the crimp on your loads--even the Starlines can be buckled by excessive end-on force by the seater die crimping shoulder. It only takes a slight turn-in to do the job--which in your case is preventing boolits from "telescoping" under magazine spring compression tension.

GOOD LUCK!

Timberghozt
09-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey Deputy Al...Thank you very much for your info..
Yes sir,I am planning to cast my own here shortly.These are Meister cast bullets I bought at a pretty good price.I am just now getting into casting with the help of some fellas from my own handloading board and I`m really liking what I have seen so far shooting cast...
I will do that on the Starline brass.I have been wanting to try it in my 1895 chambered in 45-70 to see how it performs in comparison to the Remington I have been shooting..
I will let ya know how the loads you gave me worked in the little rifle..Again,many thanks..
Gene

4060MAY
09-30-2006, 03:28 PM
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm

a lot of info.

Timberghozt
10-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the link 4060..Good stuff,appreciate it..
Gene

DOUBLEJK
10-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Gene
Yer gonna love that rifle....Like Deputy Al said thier very addictive...kinda like a reloadable .22Mag on steroids....:-D
Mines a Brownin' 53....it has become my constant companion on daily pest duty havin' taken out a pile a corn robbin' coons...a couple a coyotes assorted skunks n badgers n them pesky diggin' ground squirrel beasts...
and last year due to a laminectomy disectomy the week before deer season it even handled venison gatherin' duty with the Lyman #3118 loaded over a charge of AA#1680....:drinks:
AA#1680 has been a really good performer in mine with velocities that are really good for the pressure generated....it might be werth a try in yers...
Also I believe there is still some of the group buy 314-120's available and that is about the cat's meow fer this fantastic little cartridge...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=4627&highlight=314-120

Timberghozt
10-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey John..Thanks for the info.I have only ever used AA31OO in that line of powders in my 270 Win,but I will derned sure give your recomendation a try and buy a pound of 1680..
We shot the rifle yesterday and it performed exceptionally well with one fault I haven`t figured out why yet.It is pushing primers out slightly which spooks me.I am sure it is not because of excessive pressure with 10 grains of 4227 and virgin Win brass.It cycles great,is accurate and extracts fine...plenty accurate too.I`m using Redding dies that are set correctly,I`m not sure what it is...Any thoughts?
Anyways,appreciate your info and advice John..Much appreciated
Gene

DOUBLEJK
10-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Could be a head space condition or possibly your brass has a shoulder well back from your chambers length....check your fire formed brass against the originals if you have any left....:-D

McLintock
10-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I use the 12.0 gr load with a 115 gr gas check out of an NEI mould in my Ruger 32-20 Blackhawks and it shoots great; very accurate and has a lot of punch. John Taffin, in an article of his on the 32-20, also found this load to be very accurate and consistent in both his re-chambered .30 Carbine Blackhawks and a Thompson Center single shot. I've got the above article by Paco Kelly and I believe he says it pretty good also; so basically it's a pretty good load for the 32-20. I've also had some good results with H-110 in the 32-20, with about 13.5 gr for almost 1400 fps with a 115 gr, out of a 7 1/2" barrel. I'm going to experiment with Paco's load of AA2015, as soon as I can, it looks good for a lower pressure, high performance loading. Might be good for your rifle if you are experiencing head space problems. I'm looking for a rifle but haven't found one yet that's a decent deal, so keep on looking; what's time to a hog.
McLintock

NickSS
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
For those who want 32-20 ballistics but do not have one. I have used the Lyman 31108 boolet in a 30-30 Marlin 336 for years as a small game load. I load it with 8 gr of Unique. In my rifle it will print 2 inch 100 yard groups and does in grouse and rabbits with no problem. It is also a very fun plinking load. As I have a four cavity Lyman mold that I picked up used some 33 years ago it is one of my most used 30 cal bullets.

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey Deputy Al...Thank you very much for your info..
Yes sir,I am planning to cast my own here shortly.These are Meister cast bullets I bought at a pretty good price.I am just now getting into casting with the help of some fellas from my own handloading board and I`m really liking what I have seen so far shooting cast...
I will do that on the Starline brass.I have been wanting to try it in my 1895 chambered in 45-70 to see how it performs in comparison to the Remington I have been shooting..
I will let ya know how the loads you gave me worked in the little rifle..Again,many thanks..
Gene

You should contact Willbird via Private Message. He had a few group buy moulds left, these are 6 cavity, 120Gn from memory, big grease groove SWC and built to throw a slightly fatter boolit than normal, which is very desirable. I got one, but due to personal circumstances haven't been able to try it yet, it sure does look good though!

JeffinNZ
10-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Mick.

I am running a Lyman 311316 in HTWW in my .32-20 Martini over 15gr of AR2205/H4227 for just shy of 2000fps.

Goes like a house fire!

Timberghozt
10-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all the info fellas.I do appreciate it.This forum is a wealth of knowledge for a novice caster..Mick I will contact Mr. WillBird through a pm and see if he has any more of those 120 grain moulds.If they`ll shoot as good as the 115 grain Meister`s I`ll be plenty happy...Thanks again fellas,your help is most appreciated..I am sure most of you fellas have seen one of these old 92`s but figured I would share a pic of mine.My dad gave this rifle actually to my youngest son but he doesn`t take much interest in in yet preferring his 243 for most shooting recreation.Hopefully I can draw him towards the cast bullet and this lil rifle..
Gene
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/Timberghozt/DSCN1213.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
10-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Good luck, one of my three sons actually owns two rifles, but has let his license lapse and I have the rifles in my safe. One is my old 06', I should take it for a walk in the bush, it used to be my favourite rifle. He still wants to keep them but doesn't seem to want to do anything about it One is interested in a scientific manner, but not enough to do anything about it. He still lives at home so I might be able to recruit him to help me with my casting because he loves bypassing the system and being independant (except where it comes to housing :-) ). The youngest one just likes to have a blat every now and then. Mick.