PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a (much) taller K31 front sight?

rbstern
11-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I've got a heavily customized K31 that I am setting up as a pseudo-scout style rifle (forward mounted 2x EER scope). The scope is set up with quick detach rings. I'm going to be using a Williams peep mounted on the rear of the receiver for backup iron sights. The K31 front sight blade is not tall enough. I have the second tallest blade they made for these, and the next highest is only about 0.2mm taller. Not even close to what I need. I need to go another 3 to 5 mm taller, at least.

So I have to adapt another front sight, or fashion something using the current sight. Unfortunately, the K31 has that unusual, diagonal dovetail for the front sight.

Any ideas for a higher sight? One that either attaches to the existing sight, building up the height, or replaces it? I'd like to keep the sight mount fixture, with the protective ears.

No holds barred on potential modifications. The rifle is already heavily chopped and drilled, so it's not like history needs to be safeguarded with this project. I've thought about tapping the sight base for a screw in front post, like those found on the AK/SKS/AR15.

Whatever comments you care to share, I'd like to read 'em.

Thanks.

Mk42gunner
11-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Weld or solder a piece of steel on top of the front sight, file it to where you want it.

Robert

rbstern
11-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Robert, thanks for the suggestion. That's what I am trying.

I found a small piece of steel that was a close match to the thickness of the sight blade. I softened the piece, trimmed it to rough shape with a Dremel cutting disk, and then filed it close to final shape before soldering it atop the existing sight, after careful prep to make sure I would get a solid joint. Appears it went on solid. I'm giving it an outer wrap of JB weld for reinforcement, and I will file that down when it's cured, followed by some paint. Will post a picture when done.

missionary5155
11-04-2010, 04:05 AM
I have expoxied copper wire and brass rod to the tops of sights.

45-70bpcr
11-05-2010, 09:28 AM
If you want to try an aperture front site the lyman 17a available in different hights will wedge nicely between the ears of the original front sight. Take the blade out of course and insert the 17a from the front and it can be tapped back between the ears. The ears will hold it very snugly. Eventually when I figured this was the way I wanted to go with my K-31 I went more permanent but really this was working great.

rbstern
11-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions. Here's the old sight, with a new piece of steel soldered atop, filed, filled, and painted. Did a lot of careful prep for the solder work, and it came out much stronger than I had expected. I think it will work fine.

http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/images/k31_sight.jpg

KCSO
11-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I made an adapter to convert the K31 sight to a stamdard dovetail. Just cut the bottom dovetail to match the K31 and then the top dovetail is standard 3/8" this also raises the sight about 3/8 to 1/2 inch.

rbstern
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
KCSO, that's smart in a whole bunch of ways. If your needs change, you can change the sight.

Mk42gunner
11-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions. Here's the old sight, with a new piece of steel soldered atop, filed, filled, and painted. Did a lot of careful prep for the solder work, and it came out much stronger than I had expected. I think it will work fine.

http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/images/k31_sight.jpg

rbstern,

Careful prep is the secret to a whole lot of good jobs, especially soldering.

Your sight looks pretty good to me. Have you shot with it yet?

Robert

rbstern
11-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Haven't shot it yet. Sadly, range days are few and far between for the time being. Hope to get out in the next week or so.