PDA

View Full Version : Scope help

Beekeeper
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Do we have an optics section?
Didn't find one so thought I would put it here.If wrong place Mod please move for me!
I have several scopes Bushnell and Simons, I am not very good with one (adjustments).
Friend at range recommended a scope with target knobs on it as better and easier for my old (real old ) eyes to adjust.
Now comes the rub.
It is not that I'm cheap(well I am I guess) but putting a 500 dollar scope on a 200 dollar rifle doesn't seem right.To me anyway.
So I am looking for an alternate scope ,With target knobs< that I can get without selling the farm to get it!
The only scopes I see with the target knobs are the "tacticool" ones and they just don't fit me "tacticool wise " i guess so I'm open for suggestions or comments.

Thanks,

Jim

oldhickory
11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I've seen kits from companys like Stoney Point that offer target type turrets that screw onto your existing scope turrets and you simply turn the knob. Midway U.S.A. has some but they're dedicated to certain brands. http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=14&categoryId=8751&categoryString=10611***19789*** Maybe someplace like "Spertsmans Guide" or "Cheaper Than Dirt"?

missionary5155
11-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Greetings
Unless you are going to do lots of adjustments in the field I would get that Bushnell sighted in and leave it set for whatever range. 2 inches high at 100 covers alot of point blank shooting.
All you need is a quarter to turn the knob. I carry a magnafier glass in my tool kit to see those small details up close and figure out which way to turn. I give the knob a quarter turn at a time whichever way I need to move the group.

Doc Highwall
11-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Natchez has scopes on sale, take a look at the Barska SWAT series I bought two of the 3.5x10x40mm with a 30mm tube target knobs, side focus and mill-dot reticle for some of my guns and they work great. The rings and scope caps are cheap but the scope is well worth the money $109.99

NSP64
11-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a Center point 4-16x 40 scope that has target knobs, lighted mil-dot reticle and they are $69 at wally world. It was on a .270 and is now on a .308. Had it for 2 years without a problem. Friend bought same one , put it on his 300 win mag. He only shoots max J words in his rifle. He has had his for a year without problems.

STP22
11-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Jim,

What magnification are you looking for...fixed or variable?

Regards,

Scott

crabo
11-01-2010, 07:57 PM
One of these would be my choice in a budget scope.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/target-scopes

http://swfa.com/Mueller-Riflescopes-C134.aspx?gclid=CMK6wKzogKUCFdhi2godAl2VOg

MtGun44
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Most people do not adjust the windage and elevation very often, so the big knobs are
just useless expense and weight. If you really think you are going to change your
scope settings, have at it, but you are going to have to decide if this is actually
useful or 'tacticool' silliness for you.

Bill

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6X18 that had them in the box, my option to put them on, I left them in the box . . .

Opticsplanet was nice to do business with, good prices, and free shipping for me!