PDA

View Full Version : Another lead scare in California…

Typecaster
11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Here we go again…now shotgun pellets that will dissolve in the acid rain and Californians will get even stupider because of lead poisoning. Oh, by the way, this is about a range on a military base.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-shotgun-20101101,0,2129.story

Richard

11-02-2010, 11:05 AM
I live near an Army base that was closed, during the Clinton years, and much of the land was turned over to local cities. One section, that had been used for small arms training, was to be set aside and made into a park. Soon, a hue and cry went up over the expended lead that had accumulated over the years. Environmental whackos were afraid some kid would accidentally swallow a piece of lead, while eating sand, and instantly become retarded. The Army spent untold millions of dollars to have a contractor sift through untold acres of sand to remove the offending lead.

Many years later, the park (really, just an open area without any facilities) became reality. But, in true Big Brother, elitist and do-gooder fashion, alcohol and dogs are prohibited.

As California goes, sooner or later, so do the other states. Stupidity and sillines know no boundries. That is why we must be constantly vigilant.

a.squibload
11-03-2010, 02:55 AM
A quote fromt the "endangered fairy shrimp" in the overshoot ravine:

"Oh thtop it!"

I agree with the guy who said that if the fairy shrimp are still there
(in a ravine that's dry most of the year), apparently the lead
doesn't bother them.

11-03-2010, 09:45 AM
"...apparently the lead doesn't bother them."

Nor the bums who live in the old ranges.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-03-2010, 09:53 AM
It is not about the lead. It never is. It is about taking something away from us. Care to guess?

BvT

old turtle
11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Perhaps I am missing something. I am not a chemist but it would appear it would take a lot of sulfuric acid to dissolve lead. Poor dumb me, I thought lead was somewhat inert. How come the lead in you car battery does not dissolve? Two birds with one stone, outlaw coal power plants and guns. Remember greenies are like watermelons, green outside, red inside.