PDA

View Full Version : 22K Hornet Martini Cadet.

Four Fingers of Death
11-01-2010, 07:58 AM
I bought this a few years ago when I was at a friend's gunshop which is a couple hundred miles from here. I didn't get around to picking it up until about six months ago. We thought it was a 17Hornet. I didn't have my glasses with me, couldn't really see up the barrel and as it was cheap bought it for the action and stock. When I finally went to pick it up, a friend came along for the ride. He fell in love with it and begged me for it. I had a lot on my plate at the time and let him have it as I didn't really have time to work on it.

In the back of my head I thought that he wil probably tire of it in awhile and I will get it back off him then. Welllllllll, that has come to pass. I have a CZ Fox 22Hornet with double triggers which I use for foxes. The double triggers are fine for the range, but aren't a good snap shooting set up for me anyway. All of my other triggers are singles. So I have done a swap.

It turned out to be a K Hornet. I have three sets of standard Hornet dies but no K dies, it may be cheaper and easier to re chamber it to a standard Hornet.

What differences/advantages are there between the two? I suppose the K would be more efficient and the cases last longer and not stretch so much. I want to dabble with case and the standard Hornet seems powerful enough for this. Probably better off sticking to my 222 for the cast stuff.

I will get it back tomorrow and post some pics!

Shooter
11-01-2010, 08:28 AM
"What differences/advantages are there between the two? I suppose the K would be more efficient and the cases last longer and not stretch so much. I want to dabble with case and the standard Hornet seems powerful enough for this. Probably better off sticking to my 222 for the cast stuff."

You are right, plus it is more accurate. Buy yourself a set of dies and have fun. Making cases is easy, fire a Hornet, remove a K Hornet case.
I haven't tried cast,as I hear it can be a chore in .22, but the Hornet case is nice and small.

Four Fingers of Death
11-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Thats why I mentioned my 222s, they make good cast boolit shooters with their long case neck apparenty. I have a 788 and a Savage combo in 20Ga/222, so I don't really need any Hornets, but they are a nice little round.

I was toying with the idea of getting a Hornet bbl for the Encore, but they are $AU800 out here :( You can get a new camo Stevens rifle, scope, rings and bases and a gunbag for that. The prices of everything from overseas has gone down over the past year or so, but the T/C prices have climbed a lot.

PAT303
11-01-2010, 09:58 AM
You could always sell the Hornet barrel to me Mick,I've always wanted one on my cadet. Pat

Bass Ackward
11-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Well if there is any doubt about how it was cleaned or if you simply want the king for cast in that bore, then I would chamber it out to a 218 Bee instead of back to a Hornet.

The 218 Bee is the 30/30 of the 22 bore.

Four Fingers of Death
11-02-2010, 06:13 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Single%20Shots%20and%20Target%20Rifles/2010110222KHornetMartiniCadet.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Single%20Shots%20and%20Target%20Rifles/2010110222KHornetMartiniCadet14.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Single%20Shots%20and%20Target%20Rifles/2010110222KHornetMartiniCadet4.jpg

Now that I can see the pics, there is a lot of little rust spots I will have to work on. It has been sitting in a cupboard for years then at the gunshop for years. My friend cleaned it up and fireformed 30 odd cases. He reports that it was very accurate.

The scope mount is brazed on, the screws on the side don't seem to do anything at all.

My mate does rust blueing and owes me three rust blue jobs. I think this one might be the first. That scope mount is serviceable enough, but will have to go (or at least get a neater fitting job done on it, I'm thinking

Shooter
11-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Nice Rifle. The scope mount is a bit "Agricultural".

Four Fingers of Death
11-02-2010, 07:03 AM
My mate had an 8x56 scope on it and it sort of looked ok. If it turns out well, I will investigate a better set up. It is strong enough, but just butt ugly!

The 'take down screw' has been replaced with an allan key, but there is no way I can get the action to drop out. I have never removed the action from one of these. What am I doing wrong? If I can drop the action out, I can use a cleaning rod from the rear as it is drilled.

PAT303
11-02-2010, 07:16 AM
The action come out front first,it also has to be open and they can be tight,mine is.Pull the trigger guard down and back,you might also need to give it a tap. Pat

Four Fingers of Death
11-02-2010, 07:43 AM
The action come out front first,it also has to be open and they can be tight,mine is.Pull the trigger guard down and back,you might also need to give it a tap. Pat

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

UPDATE: I got it out, it was gummed up with dried oil/grease. They are a well made bit of kit. I will give it a good cleaning tomorrow. Thanks again!

hickstick_10
11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I bought this a few years ago when I was at a friend's gunshop which is a couple hundred miles from here. I didn't get around to picking it up until about six months ago. We thought it was a 17Hornet. I didn't have my glasses with me, couldn't really see up the barrel and as it was cheap bought it for the action and stock. When I finally went to pick it up, a friend came along for the ride. He fell in love with it and begged me for it. I had a lot on my plate at the time and let him have it as I didn't really have time to work on it.

In the back of my head I thought that he wil probably tire of it in awhile and I will get it back off him then. Welllllllll, that has come to pass. I have a CZ Fox 22Hornet with double triggers which I use for foxes. The double triggers are fine for the range, but aren't a good snap shooting set up for me anyway. All of my other triggers are singles. So I have done a swap.

It turned out to be a K Hornet. I have three sets of standard Hornet dies but no K dies, it may be cheaper and easier to re chamber it to a standard Hornet.

What differences/advantages are there between the two? I suppose the K would be more efficient and the cases last longer and not stretch so much. I want to dabble with case and the standard Hornet seems powerful enough for this. Probably better off sticking to my 222 for the cast stuff.

I will get it back tomorrow and post some pics!

Invented by a man named lysle kilbourne, basically he just plumped out certain cases to give them slightly more powder capacity.
You get more velocity out of the case and perhaps a little least head thrust (like all them ackley improved cartridges).

You can shoot standard k hornet rounds in it.

Very nice cadet BTW :smile: