PDA

View Full Version : chainsaw bar oil

jblee10
10-31-2010, 10:35 PM
My recipe came out a little hard. I have no heater but can loosen it up with a hair dryer and it works alright. The recipe consist of
16 oz of beeswax
14 oz of parafin
14 oz of petroleum jelly
2 oz STP
and enough carnuba wax from some Makers Mark Whiskey bottle to turn it pink.
Kind of my version of a breast cancer bullet lube.
I'm out of petroleum jelly but was really thinking of adding some chainsaw bar oil to soften it up enough to run in my Lube a Matic. Has anyone out there tried bar oil?
Thanks

fryboy
10-31-2010, 10:45 PM
no but i freely admit that i've thought of it , the stihl bar oil is one of the clingiest slickest i have ever felt ... a lil more stp should do it too IMHO but it's also pretty easy to make a lube "too slick"

geargnasher
10-31-2010, 10:54 PM
If you want pink, add some ATF to soften it more. I think you might have used too much carnauba if that recipe is too hard. You could also add more STP.

Gear

geargnasher
10-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Fryboy, ya beat me too it on the STP! Bar and chain oil has nasty viscosity swings, I'd use something else personally.

Gear

utk
11-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Equal parts of beeswax, paraffin and vaseline make up "Old NRA Lube". (No STP).
It is soft and needs no oils. I've made some but not tried it.

Or try 40% beeswax, 40% paraffin (some say vaseline) and 20% STP and you have "California Saeco Green"

Neither of them will take heat as well without seeping liquids, though. Felix or Felix/Wiljen lubes are much better in this respect (I've made a heat test with these lubes in another thread)...

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Try a little bit of "ER" ( Energy Release ) in your mix.

You can find out all about the product on the web.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

NoZombies
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Never used the bar oil in lube, but it does great when applied to century old babbit bearings on machinery!

firefly1957
11-12-2010, 11:49 AM
My understanding is Chainsaw bar oil is Just non detergent 30W oil and not a good grade of it.
Some of them have a red tint and smell like Trans fluid (Craftsman for one) others are just thick brown.

bruce381
11-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Bar oils are low end oils with minimal additves normally just a tackifier (the string look) and very wide specs there are NO indusrty specs for Bar oil so they will vary from mfg to mfg.

Some are made with "line wash" or the mix of oils from the "left overs" of various oils in the lube blend plant and from the rinsing of packageing lines during change overs from product to product. Lines and pipes and packageing aswell as blend tanks must be rinsed from product to product to assure product quality and as such line wash is generated in most blend plants.

Most bar oils are 20 or 30wt in viscoity with a tackifer only or if made with line wash they will have whatever additives are in the various products in the line wash such as gear oil, ATF, engine oil and hydraulic oils.

ATF red will color a large amount of oils and since it can be introducted to the "line wash" to be consistant oil blenders will dye the bar oils or other low end oils red to always hide any ATF that gets into the product to be more consistant from batch to batch.

Nothing wrong with this in that Bar oils are all loss and they do not need virgin or high end additives or base oils as long as they are clean and dry most any 20-30 wt oil will work fine.

Bruce

buck1
11-13-2010, 01:02 PM
bruce381 , I agree 100%!

Storydude
11-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I run used cooking oil. cheap, endless supply and did I mention, Cheap?