PDA

View Full Version : bore solvents

Trifocals
10-31-2010, 07:49 PM
This seemed like the logical place for this post, so here goes. I just finished reading the article in the Lyman #49 reloading handbook about "Butch's Bore Shine". It is touted as being very good at removing copper and powder fouling. There are a number of "magical potions" that make the same claims. So, what say you fellow cast boolit shooters? Which do you feel is the better product? I also noted in Midway's catalog that there are about a half dozen or so solvents that claim to remove lead? Any opinions?

Casting Timmy
10-31-2010, 09:01 PM
I use ed's red without the aectone for cleaning my guns that get cast bullets shoot through them.

I even use it when cleaning something that gets jacketed through it to remove all the powder residue. Then hit it with something to clean out the copper.

There are definitely some of the concoctions that work, but you'll save a lot of money even if you just use ed's red to clean the bulk of it up first.

Char-Gar
10-31-2010, 10:28 PM
For bore cleaning I have found nothing better than the original Ed's Red. For copper I used Sweets for many years and it works well. Recently I tried Wipe-Out and it works as well as Sweets and is muich, much faster.

Molly
11-01-2010, 12:11 AM
For copper removal, try the stuff Brownell sells for removing copper contamination from bluing baths. Just use it neat. It will not attack steel, no matter how long it's left on, so your bore is safe. But MAN, does it go after copper!

imashooter2
11-01-2010, 06:43 AM
I have a pint of Butch's on the shelf. Works better/more aggressive than #9. I clean all my cast with Ed's Red and use the Butch's for jacketed rifles.

KevMT
11-02-2010, 08:48 AM
I use ED's red with a few strands of chore boy on the brush for all my cast boolit cleaning.

When I want to remove copper fouling I use Wipe Out. It is an amazing product for that purpose.

Kev

buck1
11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I use hoppies and eds red. That said tjhe best cleaner I have ever used was Shooters Choice hands down.

vincewarde
11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I use Ed's Red less the acetone for most cleaning.

My copper remover is even cheaper. 2 parts hardware store ammonia (10%, not the grocery store 3%) and 1 part dish washing detergent. 1.5 quarts costs about $3.50. Spray into bore with spray bottle and scrub with nylon bore brush (the stuff will eat a copper brush). Wait 30-45 minutes and push patches through bore. The blue stuff coming out is copper fouling. Be sure to clean bore well with Ed's Red to get all the ammonia out, or it will rust.

Not original with me, see http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Afy
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I use KG 1 for powder residue and KG 12 for copper. Dont take my word on it being the best, check it out for your self.

I use KG1 to remove BP residue from my Sharps and have had no problems.