PDA

View Full Version : Loading for the zip gun ...............

Jack Stanley
10-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Well OK if ya must know it's something the Russians made years ago and said was good enough to protect the rodina . It was good enough for them that once they had taken half of europe they liked it enough to whack some of the barrel and stamp 91/59 on it and wait for the American imperialists .

Since the Americans didn't invade I guess I got lucky that they sold off some of the old relics . Because actually , even though I call it a zip gun , the old Russkie carbine shoots pretty well .

Someone suggested sixteen grains of twenty-four hundred as a good starting spot and I tried it with a heavy pointed bullet with a gas check on it . The mold is a old Lyman 311299 that casts over .315" on the body and just over .302" on the nose . The gas check shank is a bit thicker than I like and I have to tap the checks on more than I like . I ran the bullets through a LEE push through to crimp the checks in place then ran them into the lubesizer to apply LBT blue . The size die in place for both procedures was .314"

I shot enough of twenty-four hundred in different charges but I settled with seventeen and a half grains and the targets at a hundred yards was at least as good as what ball ammo has done for me . I did have to set the rear sight to the five or six mark to bring the point of impact up though . What is nice about this load is that it hits to the same point as a "hunting" load I made up using a group buy 311291 that casts a bit fat . That load using a moderate charge of 4895 type powder .

Yesterday afternoon was so nice I went out with the carbine and fifty rounds to burn while I was waiting for the lead pot to get to temperature . I was only shooting from seventy yards and the sun was not in my favor but the load and carbine seemed to hit almost everything I pointed it at . The bullet has a long nose section but I think it is fitting this stubby little tube real well . I'm going to have to remember to take this with me to the gravel pit blastfest and see how it works at a few hundred yards , it oughta be a hoot lobbing these heavies way out there .

Anyway , I forgot just who suggested twenty-four hundred in the 7.62X54R , but thanks , I think this one may become a standard load for it .

Jack

1Shirt
10-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Have both a carbrine and a rifle, and both shoot tolerably well, but carbine seems to have an edge on the rifle. Have shot a number of loads with 2400, from 16 to 22 grains, and my carbine likes 20 gr. and the rifle 16-16 1/2. Fun guns, and the price is right. Cabellas locally here is sellling the rifles right now for 99.00.:
:coffee:1Shirt!